The unofficial Makies fan forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have there been any IM bodies yet?

+15
ForestGreen
Miss Heny
ichibidrop
LisaK
ellarose
Chove
MissRead
sigsi
Tehwereferret
jupiternames
DapperDucky
nattherat
DollYay
Purple_Monkfish
IndigoAndAsh
19 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Have there been any IM bodies yet? - Page 3 Empty Re: Have there been any IM bodies yet?

Post by Purple_Monkfish Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:33 pm

Seeing more images of the bodies honestly makes me hurt inside. Because I just... I don't like them. The more I see the less I like and i'm hoping SO MUCH that'll change when I get one in hand but oh gosh i'm anxious about it. Like, will we feel it's worth the price or will we be disappointed? Husband ordered his third and she'll have the IM body and i'm worrying "will he like her? will he be upset?" and I can only imagine how bad that'd be if it was for a child you know? I hate when people are sad about their purchases or gifts, it makes me sad.

I keep thinking "I should have ordered that last boy before the switch" and it's nagging away at me.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Have there been any IM bodies yet? - Page 3 Empty Re: Have there been any IM bodies yet?

Post by MissRead Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:16 pm

Purple_Monkfish wrote:Seeing more images of the bodies honestly makes me hurt inside. Because I just... I don't like them. The more I see the less I like and i'm hoping SO MUCH that'll change when I get one in hand but oh gosh i'm anxious about it. Like, will we feel it's worth the price or will we be disappointed? Husband ordered his third and she'll have the IM body and i'm worrying "will he like her? will he be upset?" and I can only imagine how bad that'd be if it was for a child you know? I hate when people are sad about their purchases or gifts, it makes me sad.

I keep thinking "I should have ordered that last boy before the switch" and it's nagging away at me.

I don't think a child is going to notice these issues with the new bodies that we do - unless they already have one of the other, and even then I don't think this will be a problem for most children. I think it is more us, the collectors for whom it is more of an issue.  I definitely don't like the new bodies at this stage and have no plans to order more.  I am now going to concentrate on the ones I have and develop their stories.

There is always that 'I should have...' question and thoughts, but there is never really an end to that is there?  Well for me I don't think there would be anyway! Wink
MissRead
MissRead

Back to top Go down

Post by IndigoAndAsh Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:20 pm

That's the thing with "I should have" - I can go "I should have got the third that goes in the story with these two", then "I should have got some to dye, that would be cool", and then "Ooo, what about..."

I'm not impressed with the bodies, I'm keeping fairly quiet because obviously people have bought these and I don't want to be going "Your doll is ugly!" but the owner pictures on FB have convinced me that I'll just buy some accessories when they stock up the shop, and leave it there for a bit. (I'm hoping they bring back the Fabcoat set, could have some mad scientist cosplay going on, and I want to get a second set of hearing aids to paint for variety.)

IndigoAndAsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Crystalviolin Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:07 am

My very first Makie just arrived and she has the new body. She is a cocoa, so though I've had no experience with the 3DP bods the fact that the body is a darker shade than the head is a little off putting. Still love her, she's just adorable. But I'm wondering, I've read that some people are trying to sand the cocoa bodies to help it match the head more. Has anyone tried it and how did it turn out? I'm gonna keep her either way but I am curious.

Crystalviolin

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:25 am

Maybe someone here has done it, but if not I think that Blythe people do sanding. Maybe there are some Blythe groups or blogs that could help. Blythe has that big, shiny face...
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:31 am

IndigoAndAsh wrote:That's the thing with "I should have" - I can go "I should have got the third that goes in the story with these two", then "I should have got some to dye, that would be cool", and then "Ooo, what about..."

I'm not impressed with the bodies, I'm keeping fairly quiet because obviously people have bought these and I don't want to be going "Your doll is ugly!" but the owner pictures on FB have convinced me that I'll just buy some accessories when they stock up the shop, and leave it there for a bit. (I'm hoping they bring back the Fabcoat set, could have some mad scientist cosplay going on, and I want to get a second set of hearing aids to paint for variety.)
I don't want to say that about anyone's creation either--and they all still have great faces. I'm hoping that we'll see some improvements from the lab and/or some sanding experiments that help.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:51 am

oo please post pics Crystal! I'm most nervous about the cocoa as it seems the worst match. I dunno, i'm just not convinced. Maybe for kids it's ok but do kids really want a customised £50 doll? are they REALLY the market? Like, sure there's "what a company wants to be the market" but is that the same as what really IS the market? Kids don't have the money, adults do and will happily amass an army of 30+ dolls if they like them, return customers are common as makies are blooming addictive. So it seems rather foolish IMO to alienate ALL those return customers with such a massive shift to a product that doesn't meet the exacting expectations of us obsessive crazies.
That's why i'm really hoping they're working on the 3dp bodies being a priority to offer again, as right now they've lost a LOT of adult customers and they can't not see that! right? One adult customer is worth a dozen children who'll only buy maybe 1 doll, adults will come back for more more more. And we'll pay more for the product we know and love.

I dunno, i'm just... i'm sad because i'm not convinced i'll like the new bodied dolls. There's too much to fix before they're even acceptable and I get peeved when I have to fix a £20 doll, a £50 one? that's just not ok. I don't want to have to sand it, or matte it down. There shouldn't BE such visible messy seams on a product that's so expensive!

Bleh. Maybe they won't be so bad irl, but i'm not filled with my hope. I think when i do finally order my boy, he'll be in long sleeves forever.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:57 pm

About making the new bodies matt to match the head: I'd really recommend using a flat sealant here, rather than sanding them. Sanding may cause damage to joints if you're not careful - though it's unlikely if you use a fine grain. However, even then, it could cause joints to become looser, because you're taking a little volume off.

I use a flat sealant (matte MSC) on my MH dolls to take the shine from their bodies and it works like a charm. It even gives them a bit of a tooth.

I think... I'm unlikely to get a doll with the IM body for all the reasons mentioned in this thread that aren't really worth my repeating haha, but if I did, I'd use a sealant in order to help it match the 3DP head. I feel you'd have to use too strong a grain on sandpaper to match the texture of the head, and run the risk of damages. I'm sure it's possible, but I just want to suggest this other option too for those that want to customise their IM bodies.
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:01 pm

Where is the picture that shows the screw in the back? 0_o

None of the pictures I've found so far show anything except completely clothed Makies.....
I want to see some pics of IM bodied Makies in their birthday suits, front and back, so I can really get a good look at the IM body! 0_0

I want to be able to see all the joints, and how they work. I also want to see the head in comparison to the whole body, to really see just how much the color match is off.

Also, having just watched the video, I can't say that I like the way that foot just sort of fell off after barely being touched!.
That's not going to please some parents, especially after paying that much for a doll, and especially if all the joints are like that.

It's going to be really frustrating for children too. Not to mention feet and hands are small and easy to lose, so if they fall off that easily, they will be lost in no time!
Then how much fun will the doll be?....
Plus, you know the joints are also just going to get looser and looser the more they are moved!

Lol, I remember how frustrated I was as a child when my very first Barbie doll kept loosing her head, literally.
The darned thing would not stay on, as soon as you put it back on the neck joint, it would pop off her body just like a champagne cork out of the bottle!

She was a much desired Christmas present, and I was practically in tears. Sad
luckily, my father had a knack for figuring out how to fix the odd problem, such as a doll that thinks it's a popgun. ^_~
He put a small screw straight down in her neck joint peg which caused it to expand enough so that it would hold her head on properly. Her head never popped off again. ^_^

I hope MakieLabs is planning on offering replacement parts, at least the hands and feet, so that parents can replace the ones that fall off and get lost!
Otherwise, they may have some unhappy parents and kids.

However, the point is when you've just bought and paid for an expensive toy, and Barbies were considered to be expensive back then, a parent shouldn't have to be trying to figure out some way to fix a Barbie head that won't stay on, or Makie feet that fall off when the child barely touches them!
JRyu
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

Back to top Go down

Post by sigsi Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:01 pm

JRyu wrote:Where is the picture that shows the screw in the back?  0_o

None of the pictures I've found so far show anything except completely clothed Makies.....  
I want to see some pics of IM bodied Makies in their birthday suits, front and back, so I can really get a good look at the IM body! 0_0

I want to be able to see all the joints, and how they work.  I also want to see the head in comparison to the whole body, to really see just how much the color match is off.
Since the pics aren't allowed to be reposted, follow the instructions:
---------------------------
Go to the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OfficialMakiesFanGroup/
Click the join group button and then send Marti Bennett saying you are a real person so she lets you in. This usually takes a maximum of 3 days.
After you are accepted into the group, go to these two links to see the IM bodies in their birthday suits Very Happy
Girl Bodies: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OfficialMakiesFanGroup/permalink/1633173586955708/
Boy Bodies: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OfficialMakiesFanGroup/permalink/1633194753620258/
---------------------------
Good Luck Smile

Last edited by sigsi on Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
sigsi
sigsi

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:22 pm

Thanks sigsi, I'm already a member, I just don't go on there very often because I find the whole Facebook thing sort of uncomfortably baffling.

Lol, maybe it's my dyslexia, but it makes me feel like I'm at a huge crowded party, and my brain is trying to follow a million different conversations at once.
Whereas the forum always feels like I'm chatting over tea and coffee with a small group of really close friends. ^_^

I'll go look and see if I can find those links on the Fan Group page. Smile

JRyu
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

Back to top Go down

Post by sigsi Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:37 pm

No problem Smile If you are logged into Facebook, I believe the last two links should be a direct click to the pictures of the new bodies (if it worked correctly that is).

I sort of know what you mean. I'm more of a one-on-one person myself and the forums feel more controlled and calm to me. It's not so much the instant replies every other second. I've only been stalking the Facebook page the past few weeks due to the body change over (soaking up as much information as possible).

Hope you find the pictures. Smile

Last edited by sigsi on Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
sigsi
sigsi

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:59 pm

Okay...... Razz

Well I finally found Jen's posts with the pictures........

I'm not thrilled with the color differences between the IM plastic and the dyed 3DP plastic, and I think the shininess of the IM plastic doesn't help to make the color match better either.
If anything, the IM's shininess does exactly the opposite.
Perhaps sanding and/or matte sealing will help with that issue too.

I'll reserve my final judgement for when I actually get my paws on an IM bodied Makie.

However, I suspect that even if I'm satisfied enough with the IM ones, I will still consider them to be only temporary bodies.
Ones that will be replaced as soon as possible with 3DP bodies, even if I have to hire someone to help me design and print my own!

A 3D printed doll should be ALL 3D printed, not just the head, that's one of the main reasons why I chose to buy/collect them in the first place!

On a positive note, If that back screw is made from the proper material, it's in the perfect spot for possibly attaching a tail with a strong magnet! ^_~

JRyu
JRyu

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:19 pm

On a side note, I really wish Jen had posted those pictures on our forum too.

She did join and even posted a couple of times when we first got set up, now I'm not even sure if anyone from MakieLabs even checks on our forum anymore.

It kind of feels like our little forum is considered to be sort of the "ugly stepchild". Sad
JRyu
JRyu

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:49 am

I don't disagree with you about our forum being ignored, but I think those pictures couldn't have been posted here because the lab wanted them to be private and this forum is public.

Unless the lab are stopping by as guests, I never see Jen on here. And I'm always on!
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Palladium97 Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:48 pm

Mine arrived today and he's my first, but comparing his face to the rest of him, he does appear to have the injection moulded body. (He was ordered 22nd September). His face and body tone, (think it's the "strawberry milk")
 match well.

Palladium97

Back to top Go down

Post by Palladium97 Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:09 pm

Now I have taken him off the backing card for a closer look, it seems his torso is also 3D printed but his limbs are injection moulded!

Palladium97

Back to top Go down

Post by sigsi Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:13 pm

Palladium97 wrote:Mine arrived today and he's my first, but comparing his face to the rest of him, he does appear to have the injection moulded body. (He was ordered 22nd September). His face and body tone, (think it's the "strawberry milk")
 match well.
Palladium97 wrote:Now I have taken him off the backing card for a closer look, it seems his torso is also 3D printed but his limbs are injection moulded!
I believe the last order date for the 3dp bodies was the 13th of September, so you definitely have an IM boduy. 
The IM boys will have a hybrid body until about Christmas time I believe, so their torsos will still be 3d printed (but not their limbs). If the previews of the new body are correct, the IM torsos will have a screw in their back and will not have a removable slot.
sigsi
sigsi

Back to top Go down

Post by Palladium97 Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:29 pm

Thanks for the 'info! He also has pierced ears although I did not request that. (It dosen't matter either way, though, as his ears and eyes will be covered by his hair once I've styled it!

Palladium97

Back to top Go down

Post by sigsi Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:33 pm

Palladium97 wrote:Thanks for the 'info! He also has pierced ears although I did not request that. (It dosen't matter either way, though, as his ears and eyes will be covered by his hair once I've styled it!
Did you check/edit the ears in the Maker before you ordered? Around the beginning of September they set the ears to be pierced by default unless you went to the ear section and checked the "no pierced" option. Dolls I ordered months before then also had pierced ears in the Maker even though they were ordered and arrived without pierced ears. A few people were surprised by the ears being pierced recently. Shocked
-----------
On another note, post some pics once you finished with his makeover as they are always great to see Smile
sigsi
sigsi

Back to top Go down

Post by Palladium97 Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:15 pm

Interesting.........I read some other people were surprised by this, but didn't realise that's now this default option? As I said, though, either is fine in this instance. Yes, I must post pictures once he's been made over!

Palladium97

Back to top Go down

Post by Palladium97 Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:21 pm

Another thing I noticed was that the actual 'photos of the wigs need to be checked in the store to get the best ideas of the colors! I needed ginger hair, (although known as red hair this is of course actually orange/copper), and on the template the "Jane" wig looked the beat match, but is actually more a literal pillar-box red. Checking the 'photos, I could see the "Amy" wig was the one I needed, but it looks mid-brown on the template!

Palladium97

Back to top Go down

Post by ichibidrop Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:36 pm

Question Palladium! I also want to get a ginger makie boy, but I have been nervous about ordering him strawberry milk because I noticed that some of them in the latest batches looked "sunburned"/too pink. Would you say yours has this issue too, or does he look pale enough?
And about the wigs, I second your complaint about the color being hard to tell. My boy is supposed to have dark auburn (brownish but too red) hair. I'm not expecting a perfect match, but the model doesn't help because it's hard to tell which are the brown wigs that have a red tone to them and which are just brown. Idk, maybe I'm just being too picky with trying to get the closest color to what I imagine.
ichibidrop
ichibidrop

Back to top Go down

Post by Palladium97 Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:47 pm

Mine has what I would call a normal fair skin tone - pinkish, but dosen't have a "sunburned" look or "bubblegum" tone. The Amy wig is ginger while the tawny wig is described as red-brown and does look like that in the actual 'photo - quite dark, too - so that may be the color you need.

Palladium97

Back to top Go down

Post by Tehwereferret Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:24 am

Palladium97 wrote:Another thing I noticed was that the actual 'photos of the wigs need to be checked in the store to get the best ideas of the colors! I needed ginger hair, (although known as red hair this is of course actually orange/copper), and on the template the "Jane" wig looked the beat match, but is actually more a literal pillar-box red. Checking the 'photos, I could see the "Amy" wig was the one I needed, but it looks mid-brown on the template!
THIS! I was looking for hair for a redhead but I can't tell which ones are actually that color.
Tehwereferret
Tehwereferret

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next