The unofficial Makies fan forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!)

5 posters

Go down

Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!) Empty Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!)

Post by jupiternames Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:29 am

Here are some pictures I took at Jryu's request. I will try to summarize the differences between Allie (classic, old joints) and Steffie (cutie, new joints). To start, Allie (left) has a hole in her neck joint in her head, which Steffie (right) is missing.
Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!) <a href=Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!) 16911493785_cdac12c687_m" /> Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!) <a href=Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!) 16704367837_9801f3d1eb_m" />

The connection on the body is also different, again Allie is on the left:
Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!) <a href=Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!) 16724031738_b7aaeaf1aa_m" /> The original joint doesn't look to be broken, this odd shape is symmetrical and not at all rough.

The shoulder is about the same, but the original is a little blockier. Or if you like, the new shoulder is smoother and slopes more gracefully into the upper arm. It looks more like a real arm. On the other hand, the original body has a defined navel and if you look really close, you might be able to see that Allie has the faintest suggestion of nipples. Finally, the most striking difference in this picture is the elbow. The original elbow is robot-like with a ball-pin-hinge style joint.
Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!) <a href=Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!) 16704166297_e0168b5ee6_b" />
Here is a better view of Allie's bust, which also shows that odd neck joint.
Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!) <a href=Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!) 16725310489_66e78ccfab" />

The next noticeable difference is in the hip region. The joint is more or less the same, but the way the leg is designed is slightly different. The original hip has a defined line while the current goes smoothly into the upper thigh. In addition, the original body has a skinnier thigh. Steffie's thighs are a little more realistic: they are rounder and the shape is just more reminiscent of a human leg.
Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!) <a href=Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!) 16885596276_12a48b8e28" />
Here is a closeup of the knees: again, the older body has more robot-like knees.
Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!) <a href=Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!) 16725314359_1dbdd3df4c" />
I have mixed feelings about the old knees. They have a greater range of motion than the new knees and they can rotate!
Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!) <a href=Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!) 16723825588_323d4f0635" />Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!) <a href=Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!) 16291479613_8fb7b22d80" />
Basically the joint can over-extend forward and the joint can rotate 360 degrees, putting the calf in front of the leg and then back to the back. The rotational movement is in clicks, not smooth. But the downside to these knees is that they aren't as sturdy as Steffie's. The lower leg jiggles and Allie is harder to stand up than any of my other Makies.
Lastly, the ankle is ever so subtly different. Allie's ankle is a little bit smaller than Steffie's. If I put Steffie's foot on Allie, it is floppy and loose. It's sort of hard to see in these pictures, in my opinion.
Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!) <a href=Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!) 16910248832_b6535b3612_n" />Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!) <a href=Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!) 16723828208_2c37ea7bdf_n" />
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!) Empty Re: Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!)

Post by jupiternames Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:29 am

Really, the way that the hip joint is constructed is more different than I had realized. The older hip covers more of the ball, so I guess that's one thing that is more realistic about the older body.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!) Empty Re: Old vs new Makie bodies (doll nudity, obviously!)

Post by Purple_Monkfish Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:14 pm

Adding, my two classics seem to be on some sort of "transitional" body type. New style knees and elbows, but the hole in the neck.  Did ALL classic heads have the hole?
 I'll strip them off and take some photos later on, it's interesting because I think they were made at about the time the switch over happened.

They're much smoother than the newer dolls and the dye job is much more uneven.

Last edited by Purple_Monkfish on Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicefalonia Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:06 pm

I´m guessing you can´t use a classic head on a new body right?
Bicefalonia
Bicefalonia

http://bicefalonia.bigcartel.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:37 pm

No, you can. I just tried it. The neck joint is a little tighter in the cuties, but it is no more difficult to put Allie's head onto Steffie's body than it is to put Steffie's head back on her own body. And the heads are equal in the force it takes to remove them from the new body. As far as I can feel, anyway. It's just slightly easier to remove Allie's head from her own body. And it really looks weird to see Allie's white face on a strawberry body.

I suppose the question is, if one wanted to replace the classic body with a new body, is it better to buy a whole new body or just new limbs? It's worth noting that Allie normally wears a pair of cowboy boots from the lab and they fit just fine. No flopping. I should probably do a limb swap experiment next.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicefalonia Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:58 pm

hummm i think i read in the Makie store that you can´t use the new limbs on a classic body, but maybe i´m wrong... anyway it´s kind of pricey to get just a body therefore i guess is better to get a complete doll. I´m just considering some options for my classic Makie ^_^
Bicefalonia
Bicefalonia

http://bicefalonia.bigcartel.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:46 am

Thanks Jupiternames, your pictures are excellent. Smile

I'd never actually seen the old Makie bodies, those ball-pin-hinge joints sure are different! Just looking at them, I can see that they would be less sturdy, and less stable. I'd be afraid of those joints breaking a lot easier as well. 0_0

I have to say, I think I really prefer the new joints. Smile

I think if I ever happen to adopt a classic Makie, I would replace the old body with a new one. I'd keep their original body of course, I'd just wrap it up carefully and store it away. ^_^

JRyu
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:55 pm

Not all classics have the original body. my two are on modern bodies. They have the holes in their heads and no makie mark on the back of the head, but their bodies are the newer joints. They were made in 2013, so the later classics shouldnt be a problem body-wise.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by MissRead Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:20 pm

Great to see the comparison photos, very interesting.
MissRead
MissRead

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:21 am

Purple_Monkfish wrote:Adding, my two classics seem to be on some sort of "transitional" body type. New style knees and elbows, but the hole in the neck.  Did ALL classic heads have the hole?
 I'll strip them off and take some photos later on, it's interesting because I think they were made at about the time the switch over happened.

They're much smoother than the newer dolls and the dye job is much more uneven.
Both of mine have the neck hole, so it's possible all classics have it. Also, neither of mine have the logo at the back of the head.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down