The unofficial Makies fan forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2016 doll plans

+5
jupiternames
DollYay
IndigoAndAsh
nattherat
Purple_Monkfish
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2016 doll plans Empty 2016 doll plans

Post by Purple_Monkfish Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:53 pm

New year of course means new toys, right?

So, with toyfair just around the corner and a plethora of new stuff hitting shelves along with huge upheavals with existing frachises (Makies, Monster High etc) what are YOUR plans for 2016? What's your wishlist?

Me?

I used to collect just about any playline dolls that took my fancy, along with vintage dolls. I've kinda reached exhaustion point with vintage dolls, particularly Sindy, and playline is getting more expensive and less inspiring to me.

So... my plans?

I have a short wishlist of older Monster High dolls to just fill in the last few bits of my collection. I don't like the reboot softening of the line, so I don't think i'll collect beyond that point.

Bratz, unless they give us more Boyz, nope. I'll pick up one or two cheap, but i'm not overly excited by the new ones. I'm working on filling in the gaps in my Bratz Boy collection, it's not a long list now.

Barbie, new bodies. I need an example of each body just for curiosity sake. I really like the shape of the curvy ones so I can see getting a couple of them. My problem is the lack of articulation, and the likelihood they'll be massively overpriced.

So that leaves me with Living Dead Dolls, to fill the creepy gap left by Monster High and Hujoos to fill the gap left by Makies.

I'm tempted to grab a couple of the DC super hero girls too. I'm undecided though, on one hand, yay dc dolls. On the other, boo girlifying comics to pander to girls.

But on the whole, I think i'm gonna be focusing on less playline and more stuff I can OOAK. I've got the custom bug hehe.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

2016 doll plans Empty Re: 2016 doll plans

Post by nattherat Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:48 pm

Yay!

Similarly, I think my interest in playline has fallen a lot too.
Playline plans for 2016 are purely to: Get a Made-To-Move Barbie for to use as a body, and get Monster High Isi Dawndancer. I might end up with a Disney Star Darling if I see them around, but I'm in no rush and can live without them if I miss the boat. I'd get Leona probably, but if she wasn't available, I'd get Vega. Similarly, I would kind of like a Pinkie Cooper because they were an interesting line, but it's not the end of the world if I just can't find a place for it.

Other than that, there's no lines that interest me. No Bratzillaz, no Novi Stars, I'm out of playlines I'd say. But hey, that's fine! It saves money. XD
I wish I could be interested in the DC dolls. I'm a massive Batman fan, you'd think I'd love a Batgirl/Poison Ivy/Harley Quinn, but they just leave me cold. I think I'd rather buy one of the collector's sculptures, if I was going to have a physical representation of them around. Besides, I already have a worrying number of Batman franchise volumes I want to pick up!

Resin plans though... my goodness, don't even get me started.

I don't have any intention of having any more BJD purchases this year, I've made a number I don't even want to admit to (I could afford it, it's fine, but it also doesn't mean I couldn't have also saved that money instead). This is mostly because BJDs can be very limited, and an artist doll was announced that looked almost exactly like some of my art in 3D. There was no way I was going to miss out on that, not when my reason for dolls is for characters! (I was VERY lucky in that it happened at the same time I was due to be paid from a large job)

If I make any more resin purchases this year, it will be a body or two. I'm going to attempt a hybrid in about a week or so, and if it's successful, I'll be wanting more bodies (because that doesn't sound creepy!). Definitely DEFINITELY wouldn't be letting myself buy them until at least after June/July though. I've spent enough for the first half of the year.

So instead my plans revolve around getting work done on my existing dolls (or dolls that will exist)!

PLANS:
-My two tiny Hujoos SERIOUSLY need some clothes. In two months, they'll be a year old and still not have clothes. So I'd like to commission tiny outfits for them.

-If hybriding works, then I will probably need to commission new outfits. Actually I need to commission new clothes anyway. I suspect almost all my plans will be "commission doll clothes".

-Lastly, there's face-ups and body blushing I need to do. One Hujoo needs it done and I've been too nervous to attempt it because it'll take forever.

-More of a wish than a plan: I really want to be in a new place (as in a new house). If this comes to pass, I have every intention of picking up a particular Ikea shelving unit as basically a home for my character dolls (which isn't packed away in a filing cabinet like they currently have to be). I want this to happen, so here's to typing it out as if that makes it more likely to come to pass!

So yep, my plans are more about OOAK/custom stuff too! Though for me, it's definitely a case of needing to finish what I started. I'm going to make my big aim for this year to finish the dolls I already have. Very Happy
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by IndigoAndAsh Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:12 am

Plans: Make all the things!

There are two dolls I want to get - I'm currently waiting on a Mirodoll 70cm Annie I ordered 3 weeks ago. If I like her and she handles well, I plan to get Mika and Wind from the same company. (I dithered over Mika originally because I'd heard there were issues with darker resin, but apparently those were old reviews and the problems have been solved, and the new pictures of her are exactly what I'm after.)

But apart from that, I don't want to get more dolls any time soon - I have bought quite a few in a very short space of time, and once the 3 I currently have on order arrive I will have someone in every size.

From there, it's Make All The Things. Right now I'm in the middle of a beaded shawl for Nina - I mean sure, she only has one dress, but obviously she needs a collection of shawls and jewelry, right? But I want to make a decent wardrobe of knitted/sewn clothes for each of them. And I've just bought a sofa (DesignAFriend from Argos) which of course needs some interesting cushions.

But yeah - much more about making things for the dolls I have. Time to sit down and get crafting!

IndigoAndAsh

Back to top Go down

Post by DollYay Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:34 pm

Ok my goals. It's a long list this year. 
1. Another hujoo. I really am enjoying my current one and I just fixed up her face up. I have been browsing and I think I either want a Freya or Jake. Maybe both. Hehe.
2. A curvy barbie! They look so awesome! I really want to compare against the original body, and to the Lammily body.
3. Speaking of Lammily, I sorta want the new "photographer" one. And I'll probably pick up some of their new Lammily patterns too.
4. Another makie if they ever show signs of life ever again. Arg. 
5. Design lots of tiny stuff to cut out on my Silhouette CAMEO. It's pretty awesome. Got it for Xmas and basically you either design stuff on the software of buy the file off the store and then send it to the machine and it cuts it out on paper or fabric or vinyl or pretty much anything that you can stick to the cutting mat. So far lots of tiny paper purses and bags in all sorts of patterns for the Makies. Oh yeah, you can also stick in a little pen instead of the blade and it will draw. Patterns on fabric anyone?
6.Anything that I come across that looks cool. I don't really reasearch for play line stuff, so if I'm at, say target, and I find a really cool MH, I'll probably buy it. 
So that's what I have planned. I really should stop posting now, gotta put together a bunch of tiny valentine bags. Hehe. Razz
DollYay
DollYay

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:43 am

I'm about the same as IndigoAndAsh. My plans are to make more stuff. I have been mostly off playline dolls, although I may pick up another Arklu Lottie to go with my one girl, Pria. I've also been struggling over whether or not I want to get the MH Mouscedes. I am really drawn to the fact that she's (technically?) a rat, though I'm put off by Mattel seemingly missing that rats don't have mice for children. Because of this, I'd want to repaint her into a proper rat girl (0% mouse!). I'm also convinced she would look better if she was way more ratty.

So yeah, make more stuff...I'd like for each of my Star Wars girls to have two full outfits. I also have dreams of all my rat Makies having sleepwear. Somehow I've never got around to making sleep shirts for Pepper or Nikki, but now I owe whole pajama sets to Lottie (Makie), Hazel, Lorelei, and Bruno.  I have bought a ton of food-print fabrics to make into clothing for the rat Makies too, since I'm convinced that if rats wore clothes, they'd wear food prints. Finally, I want to buy cardigan sweaters for several of my girls.

I still have one Star Wars alien untouched and in tube from the end of 3Dp and I have a previously unmentioned "blank" Makie that I freaked out and bought on the last day you could get 3Dp dolls. I have NO IDEA who she is, but I'm leaving her alone until I've finished with my "final seven"
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:33 am

oo how do you plan to make her more ratty? I was dissapointed she didn't have a knot in her tail. I mean, if she's the daughter of a rat king, that little touch would have been cool but nope... Also her outfits are flat out vile.   *gag*
Such a cute face, ruined by granny clothes.

and oo mystery Makies! I love your starwars ones!

They revealed the new LDDs and oh man... the boy in the coat is adorable. He's kinda cartoonish heh. I want sooo bad. I think i'm gonna preorder the two boys from series 31. They aren't due out till April so gives me time to save.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:11 am

Aww, thanks! I really am leaning toward mystery Makie being a part of the Star Wars group. I'm just not sure if I'd make her into a Pantoran, a Zabrak, or something else. I'm not bold enough to make her a Twi'lek. Or maybe I'm too picky about the head tails. They'd need to be poseable.

As for Mouscedes, Ratya, I'd give her more uni-color blackish eyes. Rats do have pupils, but they can't be distinguished from rat irises without very high camera flash. Other than that, which I feel very strongly about, I think I'd make her mouth more narrow with more prominent teeth and emphasize her nose more. I'd also want to somehow make her eyebrows more wispy and make her hands, feet, tail, and ear-insides a sort of peach color. Maybe I'd see if her tail could be replaced or kinked somehow.

For her outfit, I'd likely need to evaluate how good her shoes are before deciding whether to work around them or let the whole thing go. Her outfit doesn't bother me too much on its own, but I feel it's a lot of look for a rodent and I don't like the color palette. I think she needs more of a street-fashion or even an urban pirate look. I mean, c'mon Mattel, all rats are thieves! My girls would steal the food right out of my mouth if I let them. You can't get away with petty crime in that.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Chove Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:21 am

I don't really have any plans beyond wanting to sew stuff for the dolls I already have. I do want to check out the "Make It Move" Barbies though, to see how well they move with their articulation.
Chove
Chove

http://chovedolls.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:16 am

Mousedes i felt should be dressed like the girl from Legally Blonde or Cher from Clueless. You know, preppy to match her "spoiled rat" punnage hah. I imagined the iconic yellow suit with a maze print instead of checks. Sadly she got granny clothes instead. heck, my other thought was short shorts and a cute little top and vest, which would be sorta streetish. Also feel she should have been platinum blonde not pink haired. Maybe blonde with some brown streaks.
Mine is currently wearing some Clawdeen clothes. it's not ideal but it's better than what she WAS wearing. I hate her 3 pack shoes, they're terrible. Just pink ribbons like.. what? there's nothing ratty or rodent about them. They're gross.

I will have to at some point get her a proper outfit, but she needs a lot of work to fulfill the potential the idea of a wererat or whatever had. *sigh*
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:49 am

Purple_Monkfish wrote:Mousedes i felt should be dressed like the girl from Legally Blonde or Cher from Clueless. You know, preppy to match her "spoiled rat" punnage hah.
Oh no, is that how they represent her? I don't really keep up with MH, so all I've got is what's in the toy isle for inspiration. And in this case, a lot of research on rats. Though in that case, I really like your idea of her!

I only have two MH dolls at this point, but I've always really loved that each character has a different face. Actually, right before finding Makies, I had been thinking about buying MH to make into Star Wars aliens since they were a good bet for colorful skin tones and variable faces. I'm thankful I didn't go down that road now that I have Theral and friends.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:23 am

I haven't actually watched the Boo York movie yet, the fact it's a musical gave me "the fear" as cheap kid orientated musicals are usually pretty painful. But from the back of her box, yeah, shes a "spoiled little rat". I assume they just couldn't be bothered with a rat pun name or something. But it's a shame. I head canon her as a wererat anyway because a rat king isn't a damn monster ffs. Neither is a fricken BAT (Batsy is "daughter of a bat" seriously, what is this? anthro high? Sheesh. She's a werebat grrr)

I actually now have every character minus Amanita, just gotta grab her cheap and i'm totally done. YAY. I have no more space on my shelf, I can fit ONE more doll and then i'm totally unable to ram any more on there hahaha.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:01 am

Ah, there's my problem. I didn't read the box. I can't pick up any toys in the toy isle for fear I will bond with them and take them home. We noticed this happening every time I visited Ikea, so I try not to pick stuff up if I might like it.

I'm never going to let the name thing go. I mean, if you put a rat and a mouse in the same cage, the rat will kill the mouse and probably eat some of it. Does Mousecedes father just dislike her? I'd be pretty upset if my parents had named me Cowdeen, for instance.

Actually, speaking of wererats, some of my favorite local nerd celebrities podcasted a tabletop RPG that centers around a breakup in which one or both of the former couple might be a wererat. Ack, sorry SO off topic!!
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:26 am

Lol. We need to brainstorm rat pun names for her. Ratchell? *snort* Ratbecca? Ratrina.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ForestGreen Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:08 am

My plans are mostly to make/find wardrobes for my 3 Makies. 

Hopefully we will be moving our storage unit down here at the end of April so I can start going through it. I've got quite a bit of Barbie stuff that will either get donated to Goodwill or re-purposed for the Makies. I've also got a bunch of crochet and sewing patterns for them that must still be in the storage unit.

I have ideas for one or two more American Girl dolls, but I doubt I'll be buying two AGs in one year. I usually space out my purchases of AG a little more than that.

I would also like to dig out my sewing machine and actually make some clothing for both the AG dolls and my Makies. Robin Makie in particular needs some proper pants (trousers) and the 3 AG girls have been eyeing my stash of fabrics.

ForestGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:14 am

Purple_Monkfish wrote:Lol. We need to brainstorm rat pun names for her. Ratchell? *snort* Ratbecca? Ratrina.
I bought her! Turns out I ran out of my vitamins that I take to stave off foot cramps the same night I had been to the grocery store. So I needed *something* to fill out an Amazon cart. Why pay for shipping when you can get a doll instead!?

So more rat pun names! Ratney? Ratlinda? Rattica?

BUT, will I be as diligent in customizing her as I am in making silly names? I really like the last name Felibane.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by ForestGreen Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:27 am

I like the name Ratya, but Ratlyn and Ratiss are also possible contenders. :-)

ForestGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:39 pm

Yes! Thanks! More rat puns is always better! Keep me honest about modding that MH rat girl!
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:04 am

The rat is here! I have her sitting in front of my monitor holding her tiara in one hand and grabbing her tail with the other. I don't hate the Boo York shoes, though I don't think I'll use them for her once I get around to changing her style.

I read in her little diary that she's lactose intolerant, but I can tell that whoever wrote that has no idea how lactose intolerance (or fake cheese) really work. Reading it, I would have found it endearing if it wasn't so totally inaccurate.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:04 am

the gala one has little mice on her shoes right? I have the three pack one, her shoes are terrible. They're pink bows... and they are just pointless.
No ratty elements at all, just bows. LAME.

But oo I look foward to seeing what you do with her!
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:53 am

They have rat SKULLS on them! Her skirt also has the occasional rat skull in the print, but the print on mine is sideways /facepalm. Anyway, the more I think about the shoes, the more I consider modding them first as practice. I don't love how they cover a lot of her cute ankle hair, but she can have more than one pair of shoes, right?
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Heny Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:44 am

*revives old thread*

My doll plans..to officially make the BJD jump!
Miss Heny
Miss Heny

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:28 am

Horah BJDS!
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:56 am

Yay Miss Heny! That's super cool - have you decided on a specific doll? Very Happy
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Heny Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:50 pm

Toss up between Resinsoul 1/6 bai (trying to see if her arm joints are double jointed)

Or 1/6 Pidgin XD

I have this thing for 1/6, specially since we will be moving to small place and I want to use her as a OC for my borrower character >_>
Miss Heny
Miss Heny

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:07 pm

I don't think she's double-jointed by default, but if you're ordering directly from resinsoul, you can ask them in your order email for the double-jointed 1/6 body. Very Happy I ordered my double-jointed body directly that way, since the site doesn't list it for sale!
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next