The unofficial Makies fan forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster high rebranding

2 posters

Go down

Monster high rebranding Empty Monster high rebranding

Post by DollYay Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:27 am

So today I was internet surfing like usuall and when I went to check dollienews, which is a tumbler for doll news, it appears that the monster high rebranding video, is UNOFFICIAL. Very Happy I myself will do a happy dance that this face change is only hypothetical and not a fact. 

Anyone else happy about this?
DollYay
DollYay

Back to top Go down

Monster high rebranding Empty Re: Monster high rebranding

Post by Purple_Monkfish Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:39 am

Looks like it's happening and it SUCKS. Mh was popular BECAUSE it was dark, because it was edgy and now Mattel are going "nooo, we can't have that". I suspect they don't like it when people over the age of 10 like their products because they don't know how to market to tweens and teenagers.
Mh definitely appealed to teens, and mattel doesn't know what to do with that.

I'm not convinced the softening will work, I feel like they're sabotaging their own franchise but we'll see. Cutesy pastel coloured dolls seem to be fashionable this year (shoppies, star darlings etc) and Mh looks to be going in that direction.

In a way it's a relief though, because if they really are rebranding (how do you boo is a stupid slogan) and cutifying, it means I won't really feel the NEED to collect any more of them and can finish up my collection, stand back and feel the sense of completion and satisfaction. I've got a short list of dolls I want to fill in the gaps in my collection, and it's not very long. I have hundreds of MH dolls and I have enjoyed the past 5 or 6 years collecting them. They're wonderful works of art, they're awesome dolls and rebranding isn't going to magically transform my existing dolls into blandness. I'm disappointed that it means we'll likely never see dolls of certain characters, but hopeful we'll still get SDCC exclusives that cater to the older fan market and are spectacular and monstery.

In the meantime, the UK is clearancing a lot of relatively new MH and that concerns me greatly. Usually stuff hangs around for 18 months at full price, but stuff only released in nov/dec is already at 1/3 of the price in some stores. That doesn't bode well to me. That's the sort of thing stores do before they discontinue stocking a franchise so i'm worried.
EAH is already near impossible to find here, we flat out aren't getting most of the lines now. We got dragon games, that's it for the new season. No new characters at all. Same with Decendants.
I wonder if dolls simply aren't selling so well in the UK right now, because doll sections in stores have been steadily shrinking and it's getting harder and harder to find ANY dolls. It's a brutal market over here with no room for error, and with stuff being SO expensive I think people are just looking elsewhere, to small little collectables like shopkins and such.

But i'm pretty sure this MH reboot is happening whether we like it or not, and the leaked images? I'm not impressed with the majority of them. I always complain about the pinkification of MH, but it looks like it'll only get worse as Mattel struggle to capture the eye of the 6 year olds they seem to think are their ONLY target demographic *eyeroll*

But I will say this, the mermaids they just released? are freaking AMAZING and strange. If this is the last more mature line they do, i'll give them this, they went out with a bang.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down