The unofficial Makies fan forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broken Eye Mech.

2 posters

Go down

Broken Eye Mech.  Empty Broken Eye Mech.

Post by Almostreal Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:16 pm

Si I have fallen victim to the latest batch of eye mechs. I was extra careful with Sandy's since I heard others are having trouble with them. However. No luck. it snapped this morning. 

So Any suggestions? Super glue? Blu Tack?
Almostreal
Almostreal

Back to top Go down

Broken Eye Mech.  Empty Re: Broken Eye Mech.

Post by Purple_Monkfish Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:30 pm

oh no! Another one! Argh. I need to check my two newest ones but i'm terrified because my last two boys both broke.

I used blue tak but eyeputty would probably be a better option as it doesn't have all the oil and stuff in it right? White tac maybe? It works fairly well just shoving tac in to hold the eyes heh, but for a more perminant fix maybe some epoxy/milliput? I was going to get some and try to fix the broken section but I haven't gotten around to buying milliput.
I was thinking it'd be more robust than glue as it would allow me to reinforce the whole bit but the problem is then making sure it still fits into the hole afterwards.
I'll try to get some stuff today and have a go, let you know how that goes.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Almostreal Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:32 pm

Thanks. Very disappointing. I don't want to have to get a whole new head printed.
Almostreal
Almostreal

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:44 pm

I know right? I refused to get my two reprinted as I HATE waiting and had already started customising. So I just rammed some blu tak in as it's all i had available at the time hahah. I need to either buy some eye putty or find a better fix.

Though you reminded me to test my two who arrived yesterday. Girl's eye mech came out fine, boys was really stiff and really hurt my fingers getting it out (which is what broke Tor's eye mech, it was really jammed in there) but I got it out! and no breaks this time around... so fingers crossed. As the two that did break it was first time removal that caused them to snap.
I wonder if the extra time these took was because they were doing extra QA at the lab. Certainly unlike Tor who arrived with bumps and print errors, these two are perfect and more as expected. Their scalp caps are actually quite stiff as well, but feel the right sort of heft while tor's is really light and a bit thinner.
From what I understand from what Jen said, the problem was something to do with the polishing phase of the print process. They were being "over polished" which in the case of the small fragile bits like the eye mech prongs, was causing fragility.
I think they've sorted it out now, thank goodness.

But i'll have a dig and see if I can come up with a better fix. Superglue might work but i've never had much luck with the stuff. I usually glue my fingers together and then the thing I glued doesn't bond together anyway bah.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Almostreal Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:27 pm

I wonder if some thin wire wouldn't hold it?
Almostreal
Almostreal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down