The unofficial Makies fan forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Virtual caramel makies look lighter!

+2
Tesa
jupiternames
6 posters

Go down

Virtual caramel makies look lighter! Empty Virtual caramel makies look lighter!

Post by jupiternames Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:13 pm

I noticed this morning that the carmel Makies are significantly paler. While it's nice to play with this color, I have several Makies who now look too pale! I hope this is a virtual-only change.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Virtual caramel makies look lighter! Empty Re: Virtual caramel makies look lighter!

Post by Tesa Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:05 pm

The only Makie I have is caramel and I was surprised how light she was when she arrived. I also bought the two hand bundles, which are a little darker than her face and body. I don't know if other Makies are darker, since I've never seen another one irl. She was printed June 6th, I hope that helps!
Tesa
Tesa

https://mymakie.com/people/tesa/

Back to top Go down

Virtual caramel makies look lighter! Empty Re: Virtual caramel makies look lighter!

Post by Purple_Monkfish Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:18 pm

oh wow! maybe they had too many complaints about how deceptive the caramel tone was on the virtual makies. It IS rather pale, closer to "faintly tanned" than anything else. it's almost exactly the same colour as all generic Barbie dolls in fact, while strawberry is more pink.

I hope they'll consider a tone in between caramel and cocoa, cocoa is a bit too dark for some characters while caramel as it ACTUALLY is (rather than the old virtual form) is way too pale.

Every doll is slightly differently coloured, though it's usually pretty subtle. I have 16 of them in this house (lol) and the four cocoas, two are darker and one has a more reddish tone while another is more yellow. The 6? caramels are all pretty close in colour, though one or two look like they've had a little more time in the sun than others. The strawberries are the ones who seem to vary the most wildly. Some are literally PINK while others are more a yellowish pinky flesh tone and one is substantially paler than the others. It's the dye process, each one is gonna be a wee bit different though I can't help but wish it was a little more predictable with the strawberry as sometimes you really don't want your doll to be pink lol.
the other two tones it's not such a problem because the variation is very very slight.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful Owl Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:29 pm

Man, you are on top of things jupi! My guess is the same as P_M's. They probably got customer feedback from folks who expected a darker tone based on the virtual carmel.
I think this virtual color does a much better job of representing carmel in real life. It does "make room" for a tone between carmel and coco, but who knows if they plan to offer that in the future. If not we (makie fanatics, and crafty crafty people) can always give our characters an extra dip in the self tanner when they come home.

Artful Owl

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:14 pm

Artful Owl, I'm going to take that as a compliment in spite of the fact that it's actually evidence that I'm getting a craving to buy another Makie. And don't think I won't dip a Makie! I've had dreams of these Makies for a long time, they're by Lornahb. I think it'd be great to have a he-Makie like the one on the left. He's beautiful!

I think you're both right about the change being an attempt at greater accuracy. I just got sort of annoyed that my non-white Makies look whiter now. On the other hand, some of my virtuals look more like I'd want them to. Lottie, for example.

Though, now it's sort of hard to tell who is strawberry and who is caramel, but that could just be my monitor?
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful Owl Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:00 am

Lol. Oh I know you'll dip a makie!

I'll admit I have photo stalked Lornab's makies. They are super cool.

I've only viewed the new colors on my tablet so far, but they are harder to tell apart.

Artful Owl

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:05 am

Yeah, I'd love her recipe, but I imagine it's probably not precise if she's anything like me. I can't really imagine measuring dye more precisely than just ratios or maybe half-packets. Unless I took it to work...
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:33 am

def harder to tell apart but more tru to life.

and I love how dark those makies are, i'd love one that deeply coloured. It's so pretty.

Could you weigh the dye? I suppose it would depend on whether it was powder or liquid, liquid would be easier because you'd just weigh/measure the quantity. Powder you'd have to do the water to powder maths.

I've always been a bit nervous about mixing dyes because they can be a bit unpredictable. We totally need a dye library hahah, like photos of Makies dyed using different colours and recipes to show what it actually looks like. Because the nylon doesn't seem to dye that accurate to the colour on the box/bottle in a lot of cases.
Kelly Green is particularly awkward, seems it likes to go a bit too yellow hmmm.

When I eventually get my two to dye i'll post up the experiments, but that's unlikely to be before christmas.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:35 pm

I admit I found myself frustrated too. I had a makie that I envisioned coming from India, and the caramel in the maker suited her a lot. However, in hindsight, I'm glad. 
I can imagine I would have been significantly more frustrated if I eventually paid out to have her made real and her skin tone was completely different and much lighter than in the maker. So it's much better that it's more accurate now.

I do hope they add more skin tones in time, because yeah I agree with PM, there could do with being something between cocoa and caramel!
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by Tehwereferret Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:54 am

The caramel on the new bodies might be dark enough now. It's how I'd envision that tone.
Tehwereferret
Tehwereferret

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down