The unofficial Makies fan forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Waiting and making.

+2
Chove
IndigoAndAsh
6 posters

Go down

Waiting and making. Empty Waiting and making.

Post by IndigoAndAsh Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:48 am

This is the first time I've ordered anything like this - I dithered a while because of the price, but they seem worth it. And of course no sooner have I ordered one, but I'm going "Well now it would be nice to have a black one too. And maybe an elf. And the medium skin is great too..."

I found Makies through the Toys Like Me campaign - while I'm not looking to make a "Mini me" I thought it was awesome they had all these options and the company seem to be really responsive to feedback and things like that, which is what persuaded me to buy.

So far I've also picked up the Ikea Huset furniture set which seems to be in every other Instagram pic of Makies! And I'm learning to crochet (I already knit) so I'm making things like a throw blanket for the sofa. I'm also trying to work out making a doll-sized walking stick, I've assembled bits with a bamboo knitting needle but I'm waiting until I have the doll for measurements.

Next, to print out the clothing pattens and get sewing...

IndigoAndAsh

Back to top Go down

Waiting and making. Empty Re: Waiting and making.

Post by Chove Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:00 am

IndigoAndAsh wrote:"Well now it would be nice to have a black one too. And maybe an elf. And the medium skin is great too..."

Ha ha, I'm doing that too! "Well, she needs a friend... probably more than one actually..." Smile
Chove
Chove

http://chovedolls.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by IndigoAndAsh Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:05 am

Chove wrote:
IndigoAndAsh wrote:"Well now it would be nice to have a black one too. And maybe an elf. And the medium skin is great too..."

Ha ha, I'm doing that too! "Well, she needs a friend... probably more than one actually..." Smile

Yeah - I made the mistake of going on the Makies tag on Instagram and there are so many awesome ones. A lot of them have face-ups or custom, but there are a lot of unaltered ones that are really cool looking. It's hard to work out just how things will translate from the customising screen to real life so I wouldn't want to get too attached to a mental image or plan in case the reality turned out different, but there are just so many options...

IndigoAndAsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Chove Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:13 am

So many cute dolls!
Chove
Chove

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:46 am

hahaha it's a slippery slope. I ummed and ahhed for months and months, finally decided to save up for two so they wouldn't "get lonely" and then they put a sale on so I ended up getting three.
that was November last year... i'm now at 14 of them. *snort* and husband has 2 of his own.  oops?
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by IndigoAndAsh Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:24 pm

Purple_Monkfish wrote:hahaha it's a slippery slope. I ummed and ahhed for months and months, finally decided to save up for two so they wouldn't "get lonely" and then they put a sale on so I ended up getting three.
that was November last year... i'm now at 14 of them. *snort* and husband has 2 of his own.  oops?

Oh wow! How often do you get them - does it tend to be in 2s and 3s, or one at a time?

Just checked, and it's now been updated as having been received from printers and getting ready to send. Now I must wait patiently!

IndigoAndAsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:58 pm

Several have indeed come in pairs heh. Let's think.. um... Jian, Gabe and Nate came together (ordered November, arrived Dec 4th), then I ordered Lirel and a few days later Zhi (they actually arrived with a weekend between em haha) so that was um... January (16th and 19th in fact). Then Fizz came in Feb (22nd). 
Now, then in March I came across an ebay listing for two classic makies, BIN for £80. Suffice to say, I pounced hah.
John and Vicky arrived March 17th and are my only classics.

Then Amazon tempted me with a premade Makie boy. i scraped together some funds from selling stuff and August came home March 27th. (it was an expensive month haha). A few days later Makie lab listed more premade boys! (they're very very rare) and being the sucker I am for boy dolls, I gulped and bought a fourth doll for the month, Ig. He actually arrived April 9th after going and hiding in the lab for a bit hahaha.
So yeaaah, March was a bit crazy.

Then I tried to be good! I tried really hard! but Makie labs were like "free shipping!" and then "SALE!" for April so Juniper was bought for a very reasonable price, then Cass jumped into my cart and just before the sale ended I order Sa'dii (who arrived May 15th) and two gift cards for husband and myself to use for our anniversary gift to one another.

So that was three within a few days of one another and then end of May Harris arrived, along with husband's second Makie Cat. 

So:
Dec = 3
Jan = 2
Feb = 1
March = 3
April = 3
May = 2

Oops?

But look, June is almost over and I haven't bought a Makie! I... i've been really good! hahah. I have been SOOOO tempted several times though.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IndigoAndAsh Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:09 pm

Purple_Monkfish wrote:A few days later Makie lab listed more premade boys! (they're very very rare)

I was wondering about those - are the premades like limited edition, where there's a small batch of "that" doll made to sell, or are they one offs, where once that particular one has been purchased it's gone?

IndigoAndAsh

Back to top Go down

Post by DollYay Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:02 pm

I'm almost positive they are one offs.
DollYay
DollYay

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:12 pm

the Made For you dolls are one offs, while the Limited editions (Rebecca and Juniper) were limited runs. The Toy LIke Me ones are apparently printed on demand, which is a bit different.
But yeah, MFY dolls are unique and one of a kind heh. I'm a bit addicted to them. No 2 week wait is a big plus.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IndigoAndAsh Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:40 pm

Purple_Monkfish wrote:the Made For you dolls are one offs, while the Limited editions (Rebecca and Juniper) were limited runs. The Toy LIke Me ones are apparently printed on demand, which is a bit different.
But yeah, MFY dolls are unique and one of a kind heh. I'm a bit addicted to them. No 2 week wait is a big plus.

That does make them so tempting! But no, I can't afford right now and I don't even have my first yet. She's currently stuck at the "Received from printers and getting ready to send" stage - but I only ordered on 14th, so that's reasonable.

IndigoAndAsh

Back to top Go down

Post by IndigoAndAsh Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:50 pm

Just got shipping notificiation - given it's nearly 5pm in the evening, I'll resist the urge to sit here refreshing! ...probably.

IndigoAndAsh

Back to top Go down

Post by IndigoAndAsh Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:08 pm

I've had the text to say my package will be here by 2pm, and according to the website it's been with the courier since 8:50am.

The email says "Humanoid Toy Doll (UK)", which just sounds a little creepy. I know what it means, but "humanoid" always sounds like something out of a sci-fi fantasy novel. So, the tiny humanoid is in the back of a truck, and should be here shortly...

IndigoAndAsh

Back to top Go down

Post by IndigoAndAsh Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:53 pm

After several hours of waiting, of course the truck arrives just after I post about it!

I'm really pleased - she looks very similar to how I'd imagined. The green eyes especially are fantastic. At the moment the joints are a little stiff so I'm working on posing, and I need to sort out the hair. And the hearing aids are brilliant - they sculpt even has the little rocker switch. (I got the green ones.)

Next thing after that will be to sort out some more clothes - I need to get my printer set up, then I have a piece of lightweight denim waiting to become jeans. Pictures once I get around to them!

IndigoAndAsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Chove Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:29 pm

Hooray!
Chove
Chove

Back to top Go down

Post by IndigoAndAsh Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:04 pm

Now I just have the resist the urge to go buy a million tiny things to go with. Spending money can wait, I already have enough yarn and fabric to be making things.

IndigoAndAsh

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:13 am

Welcome to our heaven? Or is that bank account hell?
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by NoMorePanicDreams Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:41 am

After seeing your post about the Ikea Huset I ended up buying it for my girl Razz I really can't wait to see what your makie looks like.
NoMorePanicDreams
NoMorePanicDreams

Back to top Go down

Post by IndigoAndAsh Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:32 pm

And I'm already going "Now I want another..." - it's my birthday later this month, so I'm thinking about it.

I've worked out a Makie that's a character in a story I've been trying to write for years - I always kid myself that if X happens, I'll finally write the story - I know having a representation of her won't suddenly turn me into a writer. But I might get her anyway.

IndigoAndAsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down