The unofficial Makies fan forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Art Studio/Toy Room tour

4 posters

Go down

Art Studio/Toy Room tour Empty Art Studio/Toy Room tour

Post by Artful Owl Sun May 31, 2015 1:20 am

I know I get curious about how other people live with their collections, and I love to look at threads with collection photos. A couple of you guys have expressed an interest in seeing more of my studio than the tiny snippets in the accidental backgrounds of a Makie photo.  I know you guys will be kind and respectful, but I just want to preface this post by letting you (and anyone on the internet who happens to take a peek into my home Wink ) know that this makes me feel just a little vulnerable. I'm in no way ashamed of being an adult collector, just a little more private in general than a lot of people. Than being said, I only tidied up a little for you guys. My art studio/toy room is in the third (smallest) bedroom of the house I share with my husband. We are lucky enough to each have a small space of our own that we can fill with the things that make us happy Very Happy .

From the doorway: The dollhouse I built from a kit when I was 12, the narrow closet (1890's houses like mine had closets about 12 inches deep...grrreeeat) with my sewing machine and notions, My G1 My Little Ponies, some of my Zelfs (I need more room for another basket full), Novi Stars (behind the light fixture), rolly work table, comfy chair with blanket throw, easels, canvases, etc. 
Art Studio/Toy Room tour Img_6010

The view from my comfy chair: Monster High Collection, Files, Owl Lamp, rolling drawers with art supplies, plastic containers with toy bits and pieces, Makies!, scarf collection
Art Studio/Toy Room tour Img_6011
Art Studio/Toy Room tour Img_6013
Art Studio/Toy Room tour Img_6012

Basket of vintage 1980's or 80's inspired toys....one or two from childhood, some purchased second hand whenever I run across them in the wild.
Art Studio/Toy Room tour Img_6014

I could probably talk at length about all this stuff, but I'll try to spare you a little. There is more that doesn't live in this room, but in small plastic containers elsewhere...LPS, Game Of Thrones Funko minis, Funko Re-Action Goonies figures, Nintendo Mario World Minis, Tokidoki Unicorno, childhood whatsits and thingamabobs.

I know there is a thread for "what else do you collect", but if anyone else would like to post pictures here showing how they live with their collections, I'd love to see!

Artful Owl

Back to top Go down

Art Studio/Toy Room tour Empty Re: Art Studio/Toy Room tour

Post by jupiternames Sun May 31, 2015 4:03 am

Wow, what a lovely room! It's so organized. I'm nowhere near this good at organizing or storing my collections. I share a one bedroom apartment with my boyfriend. Also, organization isn't really one of my talents.

Maybe I should post pictures to show solidarity with my fellow organization-challenged friends.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Sun May 31, 2015 4:04 am

Oh, and I forgot to mention--nice neuron plushie!
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Sun May 31, 2015 1:10 pm

maaan, we had the orange and yellow popples growing up. orange one was mine. I always wanted a puppy surprise, one of my friends had one heh.

Your shelves are SO organised. Mine are a mess. I need to do some serious rearranging.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by MissRead Sun May 31, 2015 5:48 pm

First of all I want to say thank you so much for sharing this room with us - it is amazing!  I am currently very organisationally challenged for various reasons.   I have a sewing studio - but I can't really get in it properly at the moment as it has been used to continually store stuff in.  I am slowly trying to clear stuff when I am able and not in too much pain and when the weather is good, which doesn't seem to be often at the moment.

Love the way you display/hang your scarves - would love to see a closer picture of just how they are hung as I'd quite like to do something similar with mine - you can see at a glance what you have and which you fancy wearing at any particular time.  

Amazed at your MH collection.  Having only just bought one, the other day as part of my Scooby Doo series - I wanted a 'baddie' and this one was on special in our supermarket and thought would work, I have to say the packaging would put me off ever buying any more as what a nightmare to open - I think they are a hazard to the health of your fingers!  Well this package certainly was anyway.

I have a few zelfs, but most of my collections centre on bigger dolls and teddies.  I am beginning to think smaller is easier though!

Thanks again.  Great fun.  If I pluck up the courage I will have to take a few shots to add to here...hey maybe this will even give me a bit more motivation to get my studio in better order.

Studio is a fancy name for shed! Wink  No room in the house!
MissRead
MissRead

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Sun May 31, 2015 5:58 pm

Even though I already responded, I also want to say thanks for sharing the photos. It's so nice to get to see pictures of how other Makies live. And how people make collecting work for them in their space.

You've inspired me to get more ponies/import more of my pony collection from my parents' house in San Diego.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful Owl Sun May 31, 2015 11:05 pm

Jupi - My makies only recently relocated from the living room to the studio at my husband's request (still pouting a little). I'm tickled that you noticed the neuron and knew what it was! It was a gift from a friend, the implication being that I need more brain power, ha. I'm glad you are reuniting your "herd". It is hard to look at colorful ponies and not smile a little. Show us!

P_M - The orange Popple was my childhood one too! I found the yellow one at a thrift shop 2 months ago for $1 and couldn't resist. All the Puppy Surprise but one are new to me. The little pup with a mermaid tail is from childhood. It was one of those blind costume packs, and one of the few times I was lucky enough to get what I was hoping for from a blind pack.

MissRead -  Thanks, the scarves are hung on individual cafe curtain rings with the attached clips. The rings are held by a dowel rod attached to the door with cup hooks, but a curtain rod and mounts would work too. I'm just always on a budget and used what I had on hand. I saw the Porter in your latest photo story chapter. He worked great! But I agree, the new packaging is a finger cutting hazard! I'd like to see your shed.

My space is organized, tbh partly because I'm fairly compulsive. It also has to do so many different jobs, and is basically my "work from home" office. When I am in the middle of more than one project it looks like storm hit. Creativity is inherently messy!

Last edited by Artful Owl on Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Artful Owl

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Sun May 31, 2015 11:35 pm

I have one of those neurons around here somewhere, from when my partner began working in the cognitive sciences. I thought it would be a fun gift. Between the two of us, we've got several giant microbes. I've got a baker's yeast (which I've worked on until recently).

So far I've got baby Teacup from my childhood here. She's one of my very few ponies I've got new. Then there's baby Frosting that I found earlier this month. Maybe I'll get a picture of my collection soon. I've got a new pony incoming and I've been thinking about going back to the store where I found baby Frosting.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down