The unofficial Makies fan forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FaceBook is suddenly asking for a photo of my ID?!?

3 posters

Go down

FaceBook is suddenly asking for a photo of my ID?!? Empty FaceBook is suddenly asking for a photo of my ID?!?

Post by JRyu Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:32 pm

Okay, I woke up this morning and all I can see on FaceBook is this page that makes me enter one of those number and letter codes, for security reasons, that half the time even a real person can't read.

Then it tells me I need to upload, I'm assuming to FaceBook, a photo of my ID, like my driver's license or my passport with everything covered up but my name and birthday and photo!

Has anyone ever experienced this before with FaceBook?

Is this even legit, or is this some sort of weird sophisticated type of phishing?

If it is legit, why are they suddenly asking me for this now, after all this time?
JRyu
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

Back to top Go down

FaceBook is suddenly asking for a photo of my ID?!? Empty Re: FaceBook is suddenly asking for a photo of my ID?!?

Post by Purple_Monkfish Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:36 pm

Someone must have reported your name as being "fake", it's a common douchebag thing and facebook, being dicks, keep insisting people "prove their identity" because going by a name that's not your birthname is apparently super not allowed in social media land (which is bollocks)

Sorry to say, looks like some dickwad reported you, probably out of spite. Which is super petty and pathetic. You'll have to phone up facebook and if you can't "prove your identity" they may not let you back.

+I suggest looking up "facebook want my id info" on google to read other's experiences and the steps required to fix it.

In the meantime, you could make a fake account to regain temporary access (just need a different email address for that) and Rob can re add you to the group and suchforth till it's all sorted.
Facebook are morons if they think this really stops trolls, it doesn't and it's just a way for awful people to abuse the system and make life difficult for someone else.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

FaceBook is suddenly asking for a photo of my ID?!? Empty Re: FaceBook is suddenly asking for a photo of my ID?!?

Post by JRyu Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:33 pm

Oh, I can send them a photo of my ID, if I have to, it's just kind of a pain to have to do so.

At least I know it's legitimately FaceBook, I hate to tell them but those security pages look totally like some kind of fake FaceBook phishing site.

Hmm, I wonder if it could be because I tend to stay logged in, and just leave FaceBook open on my iPad, for days sometimes?
JRyu
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:40 pm

Nah, they don't apparently manually trawl for stuff but rely on people dobbing others in. If they're concerned you'd been hacked i'd assume they'd tell you this, not demand ID. ID demand suggests someone took exception to your name. Some people are petty like that and seem to take great delight in trawling ebay to find people to dob in and make have to jump through these hoops. It's a system so rife for abuse and so often used for harrassment but Facebook don't care.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:53 am

Yet another reason to hate facebook. I would have 100% thought this was a scam and just made a new account if this happened to me.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:46 pm

So this could be just any bored Tom, Dick, or Mary trawling through FB and randomly choosing accounts to report, and not neccesarily someone who has actually interacted with me on FB?

In other words, it doesn't specifically have to be someone from any group I belong to, it could just be a totally random FB user, a stranger?

What an incredibly stupid way to run something, they're like that horrible teacher who always gives his class a study period in the afternoon so that he can go have a cig and a cup of coffee in the teacher's room.  Figuring some student will come and tell him if anyone's misbehaving.
JRyu
JRyu

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:54 pm

Jupiter, could you let the UMF group on FB know what happened to me, just in case anyone has been trying to message me?

I don't think that everyone in the group is also on this forum, so some people might be wondering what happened.

Tell them I'll be back as soon as I satisfy "Idiot Book" that I am really me. Wink

I'll leave it up to you, if you want to let OMFG know what happened, but you might make sure Ella knows, in case she's been trying to get in touch about having me send her Beatle Paul's, formerly known as Stern, actual certificate to her.

I'd really appreciate it if you could do this for me Jupiter. I love you

Thanks Smile
JRyu
JRyu

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:52 am

I'll get messages to everyone. Don't worry about it. I'll report back when I've done it.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:24 am

Okay. I've posted to the unofficial group and messaged Ella. Would you be interested in sharing emails with Ella? I haven't heard back from her yet, but if you'd like me to share this information, you can send it to me in a private message.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:12 am

Thanks Jupiter, I'm hoping I'll be back in the group soon.

I'm just waiting to hear back from FB, having sent them a photo of my Driver's license.

If Ella gets back to you and is in a hurry for the certificate, let me know and I'll pm you my email to give to her.
JRyu
JRyu

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:14 am

Absolute lunacy! They've sent me an email Thanking me for submitting my ID, which then proceeded to simply rehash the instructions for submitting ID!

Not one word about being sorry for inconveniencing me, or telling me that my account was now unlocked... No, just a bunch of inane dribble about submitting IDs! Bloody idiotic Twits! Evil or Very Mad

I've fired off a polite, but rightly outraged reply with the same photo of my Driver's license attached.... Waiting now to see what their next response will be.
JRyu
JRyu

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:21 am

man, what a farce. Good luck JR!
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:53 pm

Guess my email did it! Wink

Lol, they unlocked my account pretty darned quick after receiving my email, and they even apologized for the inconvenience! Twisted Evil
JRyu
JRyu

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:12 pm

YAY! jerks heh. Welcome back to facebook! What a bloody headache though, so stupid and unncessisary.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down