The unofficial Makies fan forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oh NO! Hands and feet don't fit!

+2
nattherat
Almostreal
6 posters

Go down

Oh NO! Hands and feet don't fit!  Empty Oh NO! Hands and feet don't fit!

Post by Almostreal Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:41 pm

So today my spare hands and feet arrived ( One par of each colour just in case .)  And NONE of them fit my Makie! Its like they were made for a much smaller ball joint! So dissapointed given the money I spent. Any suggestions on how I could make the socket fit the ball joint? I'm really worried now that my makes set to arrive next week will be faulty too! ;-(
Almostreal
Almostreal

Back to top Go down

Oh NO! Hands and feet don't fit!  Empty Re: Oh NO! Hands and feet don't fit!

Post by nattherat Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:54 pm

My strawberry milk hands were too small for my joints too. It's not ideal, but what you could do is very VERY carefully take an x-acto knife to the socket as I did. If you take off miniscule slivers at a time, you can slowly open it up enough to take the ball.

However... if your hands are like mine, then even though doing this will allow you to put the hands on, be aware that they will never be suitable for casual play because unfortunately they simply don't fit - they're too small. They'll likely ping back off if you move them too much. It means they're best for just photo posing.

Hopefully someone else has some better advice that solves the problem properly though, because I'd like to hear that too!
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by Almostreal Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:05 am

Thanks! I'll try that.  I'm tempted to just return them for a refund but I don't think I'll get a chance to get more again given the discontinuation of the 3DP body. I guess I just need to be super careful not to lose the current ones!
Almostreal
Almostreal

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:28 am

Totally understandable! I'm lucky because the hands I cared most about all fit wonderfully. The pairs that have problematic joints (were they the jazzy/expressions hands bundle by any chance?) are pairs I won't really be using, so I'll survive.

I wonder if we have oddities, or if that's just how they're modelled? After one of my makies having a loose/too-small skullcap, and the other having a too-small eye mech, I wonder if some kind of shrinkage in the printing process is actually something that can happen, or if it's a coincidence.
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:32 am

Actually, on second thought, I missed that you mentioned feet as well!

I think maybe you should ask support about the feet. That joint is much more brittle than the hands, and I can't really think of what you could do to make it fit without compromising the foot strength (and possibly even permanently breaking it).

The hands can be sorted via the method I said earlier, but I don't know if you could do it with the feet when the ankle is already quite thin nylon.
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by Almostreal Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:33 am

Maybe it was shrinkage in this batch? they are all regular hand and feet pairs. Did you manage to get a replacement scull cap and eye mech?
Almostreal
Almostreal

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:43 am

No, I haven't asked for either. The skullcap doesn't matter too much, it stays on, it just rattles when I move the doll. The eyemech I can use eye putty with. They're both things that shouldn't be as they are, but they're also not major enough for me to contact support about.
The only thing I've contacted support about is receiving feet that are dyed in a shade of cocoa bean nowhere near my makie - I still haven't heard back about it yet though (sent a week ago).
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:04 am

I just tried out some of the different hands in the new hand bundles I just got, and while they are very hard to get on and are stiff to move around at first, they do fit. It requires more force the first time then one would expect, or might feel comfortable with, especially so if you are a little leery of possibly breaking the joint.

They do appear to get easier to put on and move around once you have taken them on and off a few times, too.

It does seem that the Hands from the Jazzy Hands bundle may take just a tiny bit more exertion to get them on than the Handy hands do.

However, I found this to be true with my previous Jazzy and Handy hand bundles, as well, and those I ordered quite a while back.
JRyu
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

Back to top Go down

Post by MissRead Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:45 am

Some people have put the hands in water first and had success so I have read.
MissRead
MissRead

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:36 pm

yeah water works vwonders. mine didn't fit at all, i was certain i'd break something continuing to shove. Chuicked them into my glass of water (lol) and bam, like magic they suddenly fit. Maybe compacted dust in the joint?

plese Nat, DO contact support. Right now if they don't know, they think there's no problem and it means those of us who need stuff fixed get dismissed with the whole "well nobody else has complained" attitude.
I've had 2 dolls have the pins that hold the eye mech in snap on me now, both new batch ones. Something is up with this new load and it needs to be sorted. Because like you I can just use eyeputty, there's no point reprinting anything BUT if we don't mention it, it'll keep happening and not be fixed.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Almostreal Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:51 pm

Thanks so much for you advice guys! ( everyone here is so nice!) I found cold water worked for some and soaking in boiling water worked for others but I think I can make them all fit now.
Almostreal
Almostreal

Back to top Go down

Post by ForestGreen Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:34 am

My package of hands and feet shipped today and, from what I can gather from the tracking number, is now on it's transatlantic flight. I've been hoping I don't have problems, but the information about soaking the hands and feet is good to have.

ForestGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum