The unofficial Makies fan forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WIGS wigs wigs.

5 posters

Go down

WIGS wigs wigs. Empty WIGS wigs wigs.

Post by Purple_Monkfish Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:35 pm

Makies take a size 7 wig, which is useful to know if you decide you want to go out and buy wigs.
7-8 are often described at MSD or "1/4" sized.

But you can also make your own wigs, and here's some links to various resources taken from the old makies forums.

Firstly, crocheted wig caps! here

You can also glue fibre onto a wig cap (Silicon or fabric ones can be bought online, I believe retrodolls.co.uk sells them) 
Or you could glue straight onto the Makie scalp plate. They're replaceable if you decide you want a change after all heh.

Lambskin wigs here

Feel free to add your own experiments, patterns and ideas. I'd like this to become a big resource of wig making related stuff.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

WIGS wigs wigs. Empty Re: WIGS wigs wigs.

Post by Purple_Monkfish Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:22 pm

From poklfil

This is bear mohair fabric:

WIGS wigs wigs. Aviator2

The fuzzy wig here is Tibetan or Mongolian Lambswool:

WIGS wigs wigs. Milliered1

Your best option for wigs like the red one is to find PILLOW/Cushion covers- It is very difficult to find actual fabric, I even tried to get some from a place in Scotland that makes the pillow covers and they wouldn't even sell me any! Most sources have been the USA sorry!
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:24 pm

Retro dolls sell mohair and other natural fibres, along with regular nylon etc for reroots.
So do My Little Customs
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:12 pm

Poklfil says:

Just thought I would post up the picture of the silicon wigcap I bought for Millie- It arrived today. I took a chance and got the 7-8 size and it fits like a dream!!!! It also fits under the wigs I have made for Millie too

WIGS wigs wigs. Wigcap1
WIGS wigs wigs. Wigcap2
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:00 pm

I feel like this information must be listed somewhere, but I just don't seem to be able to find it for some reason.
Any idea what the wigs supplied at Makie labs are made from? I want to look into possible partial dyeing, if they're made of something that takes dyes. Smile
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:50 am

It varies. The short wigs that they put on the boys are faux fur. Some of the girls' wigs are luxury kanekalon. Those are often a little bit more expensive in the wig section of the store (eg the Amy wig or the Fizz wig). I'm not sure if the others are also kanekalon or not. If you're interested in one in particular, I'd send an email to support to ask what it's made of. I'm not sure there is any source for what materials each wig is made from.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:13 pm

Yes, I think that's the best way to go too, the elves at Makielabs are very nice and really helpful. Just explain to them why you need to know, that you want to try to partially dye the wig, and let them know which wig or wigs you are interested in, and need to know about.

I would hazard a guess that most or all the wigs, with the exception of the faux fur ones, are kanekalon, since that is what a lot of doll wigs are made from these days. You can check on the Internet, but Most likely kanekalon is probably some form of nylon, so a dye meant for nylon would probably work the best.

Of course, your other option is to just "go for broke", buy two or three of the wig or wigs you want to dye, and experiment! Very Happy
Which is most probably what I would do. ^_~

Also, have you checked out doll wigs on eBay and other sites? Try doing a search for size 6-7 or size 7 BJD wigs, they offer lots of mixed color wigs, streaky colored wigs, two toned wigs, wigs with color streaks, half and half wigs, etc. you might find a wig with the exact look you are going for, with out all the mess of trying to DIY it. ^_^
JRyu
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:01 pm

Yeah, checking ebay was my first port of call! There's one wig that's the right colours but... not really the right mix. I'm very specific about details so after checking around I think maybe I'd be happier if I took charge of dyeing it myself. At least that way I should end up with exactly what I want (in theory) rather than having to make-do.

I've set up an email. I'll post the info I get back on here so that others can use it for reference too. Very Happy
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:00 am

Kanekalon is what is used in braids/weaves and for American Girl hair. It's modacrylic, so I would look for info on dyeing hair for extensions.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:38 am

Very Happy Can now confirm that all the wigs besides the super short faux fur ones are kanekalon! So hopefully that should help anyone else too in case anybody else decides to do some wig customisation.
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:56 pm

Excellent! Let's hope the process for dying kanekalon wigs turns out to be uncomplicated and easy.
With relatively easy clean up. ^_~

You should take pictures while you are dying the wig, and post them! I'm sure other people would find them very helpful. ^_^

......and pictures of the finished product too, of course! Very Happy
JRyu
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

Back to top Go down

Post by xxamis Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:20 am

Is this adorable Mohair wig too small for a Makie's head? 
https://www.etsy.com/listing/240607177/lavender-color-tibetan-mohair-wig-for-67?ref=shop_home_active_4
In the title it says 6/7 but in the description it's 6/6.5 so I figure it's closer to 6. I really want to bleach the Candy or Fizz wigs from the Makies site and dye it over to get a gray/lavender shade but I only have experience bleaching straight, human sized kanekalon wigs.
xxamis
xxamis

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:27 am

Makie heads are I believe exactly size 7, so it might be a bit small.

Ooo I wonder if bleach would work. Never tried it. I'm not sure what the fizz etc wigs are actually made of, anyone know? doesn't feel like Kanekellon, that stuff is super light and flyaway while the curly wigs feel more... I dunno.. robust. But i'm terrible at working out fibres.
Maybe the solution would be the cut a small chunk from one of the wigs and test dye it to see how it reacts?
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by xxamis Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:32 am

Purple_Monkfish wrote:Maybe the solution would be the cut a small chunk from one of the wigs and test dye it to see how it reacts?

Yeah that seems like the best idea. I think the curly wigs are also Kanekalon because on the Candy wig the description says "luxury kanekalon", whatever that means lol. But I'm guessing it's just textured to be curly just like Marley hair used for faux locs on humans
xxamis
xxamis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down