The unofficial Makies fan forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monkfish's crew

+10
Artful Owl
Vaergo
roopye
jupiternames
mama makie
KimonoKittyCat
DollYay
Jupeycat
MissRead
Purple_Monkfish
14 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Monkfish's crew - Page 3 Empty Re: Monkfish's crew

Post by DollYay Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:23 pm

Haha! He looks so cool, sorta freaky and funny but cool! Smile

You should try 3doodling him some parts, that might work... Or polymer clay, or resin in molds. Haha I'm getting crafty over here lol. On the more realistic side of things, hot glue might be good for attaching those parts that you have held together with tape.
DollYay
DollYay

Back to top Go down

Post by ForestGreen Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:48 am

James has a sort of Kurt Cobain vibe going on, I like it.

On another note, every time I see pictures of August I get a bad case of grabby hands.  The hair, the glasses, the mischievous look on his face, he is perfect. I think I may have figured out why now too. He reminds me of a friend I had as a little girl. We got into an immense amount of mischief together and I was devastated when his family moved away.

ForestGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 pm

Monkfish's crew - Page 3 P1130712

Two new dolls arrived today!

I'm delighted.

"Misty" (who's name may change, we'll see) I adopted from a friend. she was missing a hand and had floppy arms, came nude and wigless but was just begging for some tlc. I never can resist me some tlc dollies.
Thankfully I have a box of spare hands. YAY. Not the right colour, but we can fix that.

Monkfish's crew - Page 3 P1130714

Here she is as she arrived. I switched her eyes out just before taking this photo, her original ones were brown but I thought grey looked better with her greyish skin.
She was tea dyed, so she's really pale and quite an interesting shade of ghostly grey.

Monkfish's crew - Page 3 P1130715

I set to work giving her a makeover. I had this idea for a lot of greyscale, so that meant I had to wipe her face.

Monkfish's crew - Page 3 P1130716

Her caramel replacement hand still isn't quite the same colour but it's close enough. I have several Makies who have darker hands anyway.

Monkfish's crew - Page 3 P1130719
The other doll is a Hujoo Berry. I actually ordered her new year's day, but she's taken forever to crawl through the Hong Kong postal service. Thankfully I dodged a customs charge, I was really worried when tracking stopped at "arrived in uk" on the 18th and didn't update. I wasn't expecting her to show up today, so that was a pleasant surprise.
I wasn't actually expecting either of them. The Makie was shipped last night at like half five in the afternoon, so she zoomed over here!

Berry needs a lot of custom work done. I need to get a hold of some epoxy and then i'll get to work on her alienification bwhahaha.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by ForestGreen Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:54 pm

I like what you've done with Misty, her black & white film look is very classy. I like the way Berry's body is put together although I'm not in love with the shiny orange. I assume she can be matted? I'll have to take a look at the Hujoo dolls sometime. It looks like Berry has a constancy of materials that I like too.

I've been looking at some lovely pictures of Pullips wondering if I want to delve into that world.

ForestGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:53 pm

Yeah the shininess isn't so obvious irl, but i'm sure she'd matte down fine. I started on her faceup and she already looks loads better. Hujoo at this scale have strange faces. The larger dolls are a lot cuter imo but she'll make a wonderful alien.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:12 am

Aww, I remember Misty. It was so sad that she ended up being a disappointment, but I guess that's all over now! I like how you've redone her--especially the eye shading. It suits her so well. I also agree that this small Hujoo has a strange face and looks like an alien. She definitely needs some help from you to define her. It's great that there are still places out there where you can get colorful dolls.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:29 am

I'm delighted to have been able to give the wee girl a forever home. I have a soft spot for dolls who are perhaps a little rough. TLC dolls just have this personality that's not there with brand new minty ones. I do understand why her original owner was disappointed by her colour though, he expected her to turn tea coloured, not grey. YOu just wouldn't know that was tea she was soaked in, there's no brown in there at all. Bizarre. Kinda like when I dyed Nhaj and he was meant to be kelly green and ended up a really dark jade colour. Took me quite a while to bond with him because he wasn't what I expected at all.

I started work on the hujoo's faceup and just giving her some definition about the eyes makes a huge difference. I need a new paintbrush and epoxy though, neither of which I currently have. I think that's something to do tomorrow while we're out, pop past an art shop.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:02 pm

Monkfish's crew - Page 3 P1130811

24 Makies,a few random friends. WHEEE

Yes, i'm hopelessly addicted.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:29 pm

Your crew looks amazing P_M!

I'm so glad you could adopt that Makie too. I've had trouble bonding with one of mine and somebody on instagram asked if I would keep them in mind if I ever put him up for adoption. I'm not quite that far yet (a new wig made a massive difference to my opinion on the doll), but it's really really nice to know that others might rehome your dolls and appreciate them more than you do yourself.

Thanks for that direct comparison between a makie and berry too! While I already knew the Hujoos were slimmer than makies, it's most obvious when they're side by side. With some clothes on though, they actually look very well suited to posing together!

Random question actually but: I've developed a wig pattern for the Hujoo minipin, since I have one of my own and she needed hair. I imagine you've got your minipin all sorted out now, but just in case: if you want a wig, do let me know! I have spare chestnut brown fabric and spare black fabric, after making wigs for my own. I could make a couple more out of the fabric left, which would probably be better than just having the fabric sit there without me knowing what to do with it haha! XD
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:35 am

Oh definitely always people ready and eager to adopt orphaned Makies heh. I've adopted 2 from other collectors and 3 off Ebay thus far, and usually I miss the sales so that's not bad. I'm not fast enough usually heh, they go in minutes. It's mental.

With my minipin, I honestly don't think I can get his hat off now hahaha. it's kinda.. rammed over his ears and stuck there. I don't think it's coming off... ever. *snort*

New wigs and faceups and stuff def help change the way you look at a doll. I mean look at my Ayla. she was so... boring and generic as a blonde but a yarn wig and bam... character
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:42 am

Monkfish's crew - Page 3 P1130829

New boy! well, I say new... he's an alpha classic heheh.
He was totally blank but I decided he needed a light face. He's hard to photograph because he's SO white, but he exudes an aura of smugness lol.

I haven't found out his name yet though, *sigh*

EDIT: He's informed me he'd like to go by Noah, so obviously that's AOK by me.

Last edited by Purple_Monkfish on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:50 pm

Monkfish's crew - Page 3 25223092685_874fd5f0a5_z

What's this?

this is an addiction is what it is.

So Georgie (who we should all know) happened to have a few "liberated" Makies for sale. I missed the IM girl but while doing a search on Etsy to show husband some other 3d printed stuff a Makie face popped up on the search and I was so surprised I had to click.

She had such a cute charming little face. Usually I don't really go for girls but around christmas time the idea for a cocoa dragon girl wandered into my head and refused to leave.
I had planned to order her when the lab reopened but alas, that didn't happen.
So here was a cute little cocoa girl who could fulfil that role, I just knew she'd oblige.

Monkfish's crew - Page 3 24596276803_ac653aedca_z

She came in a tuppaware container as she lost her tube, or possibly never actually had one. From what I understand of what Georgie said staff were given the chance to buy some unsaleable dolls or something. This girl has a missing eye mech (it probably broke, a common fault in the later 3d printed dolls sadly) but that hardly matters to me given I already have like 3 with broken mechs using tack to hold their eyes in heh. She also has one mismatched hand, I wonder if she might have lost her original one.

She came in this darling little outfit (skirt and top) and a really nice silver coloured wig but she immediately laid claim to the purple wig I had on my desk.

Monkfish's crew - Page 3 24927480560_2ec873b31c_z

Georgie did a great job on her eyes, so I didn't touch those. she got a little more makeup and some lip filler (lol) along with little fangs and scales. And some false lashes. I usually cut them short but I thought her big eyes could pull off really long lashes.

She's SO pretty.

Monkfish's crew - Page 3 24596275533_f1b8423ab4_z

I'm really pleased to see how different she looks to my other cocoa girls. Fizz and Juniper welcomed her quite happily.

So everyone say hello to Jemima, Makie 26. Eek hahaha.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DollYay Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:15 am

Wow, she's adorable! Smile
DollYay
DollYay

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful Owl Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:23 am

Her markings and fangs came out great! What a charming dragon girl.

Artful Owl

Back to top Go down

Post by Tesa Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:39 pm

Wow, I love her! Georgie actually posted a photo of her in the FB group, saying that she sold her. It's awesome that you bought her Smile
Tesa
Tesa

https://mymakie.com/people/tesa/

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:50 pm

aaww thanks guys, i'm really pleased with how she turned out.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3