The unofficial Makies fan forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Makie Website

+6
JRyu
Tehwereferret
QQKachoo
Lace
Okore
ozma06
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New Makie Website - Page 2 Empty Re: New Makie Website

Post by JRyu Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:00 am

Well, the cart and the Wishlist page seem to be stabilizing.  I'm still not sure if I can put more than one Makie on my Wislist page yet.  I haven't tried it again to see.

Still no Makies old or new on my "My Makies" page, whether I'm in U.K. or U.S. Mode.

Weirdly, I seem to be able to move back and forth from U.K. to U.S. easily, and my account info is exactly he same in both account modes.

In fact, when I corrected the name on my shipping and billing address while in U.S. mode, the corrected name appeared on my shipping and billing address when I switched to U.K. mode and logged in.  

However, a Makie I create and place in my cart in U.S. mode does not appear in my cart when I switch to U.K. mode, and it seems to work the same with Makies I make and place in my cart while in U.K. mode, not showing up when I switch to U.S. mode!?!  scratch

I don't understand why the correction to my shipping/billing address name would automatically transfer over from my U.S. to my U.K. account modes, but not the Makies I create and put in my cart.  0_o

They don't automatically transfer from U.K. to U.S. Account modes when you place them on your Wishlist page either. scratch

What is worse,  is that I suspect my account has sometimes switched from one mode to the other on it's own, without me realizing it's done so. Shocked

Lol, stuff like this makes me glad I never tried to become a computer programmer!  Laughing  
There just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the way this website program is behaving...  Or should I say misbehaving! Wink

Shouldn't there be a sound logical reason behind the problems, that should allow you to logically extrapolate what needs to be done to in order to correct the problem?  scratch  

Aren't computers and computer programming based on logic? o_0
JRyu
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

Back to top Go down

Post by DollYay Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:31 am

OK! They finally replied to my support! If this helps anyone they said "We're so sorry to hear your dolls have gone away. We will ask our team to look at the problem. This may take a week or more, as we work through various bugs on the new site. Please be patient and thank you *so* much for your support!" 
SO  they obviously that their are bugs and their doing their best to fix it. But if they had maybe sent everyone an email about the bugs... Arg.  Mad
DollYay
DollYay

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:49 am

It's probably one teeny piece of code messing up. If you skip a bracket, duplicate a bracket or something is mispelled it borks everything up. But there's all this code to sift through, which takes forever and often needs multiple passes before you find the one teeny thing that's wrong. Code's a pain like that.

I'm avoiding the makie page, it's just making me moodier. I'm in a bad mood this morning anyway so I have zero patience for things not working. And none of the account elements work right for me. No makies, no wishlist, no cart contents being saved. Yeah, done with it for now. I just can't be having with it. I just really hope it's fixed by christmas because in all likelyhood i'll need cheering up and actually have the money to buy stuff. If I still can't well, Hujoo or something will get my money.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:54 pm

Lol, that reminds me of my first experience with computers.  That was back in the early days, when a home computer was still considered more of a novelty rather than an actual necessity. Very Happy

My brother, who took to computers like a duck to water, figured I needed to be part of the computer age too.  So he bought me my first computer, a Texas Instruments one, and basic programming books, for Christmas.

Lol, before anyone chokes on a mouthful of coffee at the thought of a kid buying his sis an expensive computer, my brother is ten years my senior, so he was already an adult and working in the computer industry. Very Happy

Anyway, this was back when you had to type in reams of code in order to get the computer to do anything..... No downloading programs off of the web, or popping a CD in the slot.  

Lol, it took a novelette's worth of code, all typed in by hand, just to make a little stick figure appear on the screen and wave! Rolling Eyes

One of the first basic programs the beginners book had you try entering in, was supposed to make this "inchworm", (actually just four or five little white pixel squares), start at the top and crawl back and forth across the computer screen until he reached the bottom.

So I carefully typed in all this code gibberish, faithfully copying it line by line out of the book and onto the computer.....  I then hit run, and the "inchworm" began his crawl across the screen.....  Only to stop dead when he reached the other side!

The computer would wait a minute, then the screen would go black and it would tell me there was an error in line so and so....  Not what the error was... Or how it should be changed....  Just that there was an error.

I don't know how many times I re-entered that program, checking and double checking to make sure I entered that darned line so and so in correctly....  
And every single time that wretched "inchworm" would start to make his trek across the screen, only to come to a dead stop!

At which point the computer would again smugly tell me that there was an error in line so and so, like I was supposed to be able to tell what the error was in all that code gibberish, and how it needed to be fixed! Evil or Very Mad

Lol, I got so darned frustrated and irritated at that blasted computer, that I started talking and typing replies back and arguing with it! Laughing

I'm sooo very glad I'm not the one trying to get all these website glitches ironed out! Very Happy
JRyu
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:55 pm

lol. I did a degree in computer animation and part of that in their "quick, let's pad this degree with stuff because we haven't got enough content" included a whole unit of C++ coding.
My father tutored me, he's a computer engineer so he knows his code and so I went into the exam, sat down and was asked to write three programs.

The first was a lottery program, a random number generator basically. So I wrote that, tested it, it ran fine. So on to the next program, which was a dice roller I think, same sort of principle but with a slightly different flavour. I started writing that program, got half way through and realised somehow i'd overwritten the previous program with the new one. NOOOOO
So I finished, tested, it didn't run. I didn't have much time left so I hastily rewrote the first program only to find it also wouldn't run. ARGHHHHH
In the end, none of the three programs would run. I sat for a good 20 minutes staring at the code, but could I find the error? could I see the duplicated bracket or whatever? Nooope.
In the end I ran out of time and wrote in the notes "this SHOULD work but doesnt, can't see duplicated or missing bracket but assume that's the problem. First program did work, now doesn't, code is identical. Grrr"

I got 80%, which isn't bad for three programs that aren't' even bloody working. But it's a really common problem. In c++ at least, everything is written within brackets and if you accidently type too many or you fail to close a bracket before opening another or whatever the whole code borks out. Html and CSS do the same thing with incorrect bracket placement, one incorrect line can screw over a whole section of code, just one keystroke off and it'll totally bork.
And if the person who wrote the code didn't write it nice and neatly with new lines for each new bit and section breaks (which the computer ignores but makes it easier to read back. In C++ you can actually leave notes within the code that only someone viewing the code can see, so you can make snarky comments, leave abuse for the checker, leave complaints or just say "this bit does this." which makes bug testing a lot easier) but if someone hasn't bothered to do that and just spewed out a string of totally contextless code? It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. heck, even with breaks and commentary it's very very hard to see the one incorrect keystroke.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:30 pm

Gads! Sounds like programming has gotten even more complicated, instead of easier! affraid Laughing

At least these days you don't have to know how to actually program a computer in order to be able to do anything on it.

I've heard the term HTML, but I didn't know it was a code. Lol, I've never had a clue what the letters stood for, or what it meant, I would just periodically run across references to it.

As for the code I was trying to work with, I think all I ever heard it referred to was DOS code, for the DOS system.

Lol, you have to remember this was like back when PCs were in their infancy..... back even before Apple existed, when Apple's founder was still working with Bill Gates. Wink
JRyu
JRyu

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:53 am

hahah, yeah our first "computer" was an amstrad and my sister owned it so i wasn't allowed to really play on it. boo.
Our first pc my dad actually coded an OS for it so we didn't have to go into dos and type like "run c://games blha blah blah.exe" or whatever every time we wanted to play something, instead it loaded up a list that you scrolled down, clicked on and hey presto, it loaded the game. There was always a delay of a few days when we got a new game before dad got around to adding it to the list heh.

It is SO much easier these days, heck even programming is easier with simple things like Scratch which is effectively half game, half coding language. You drag and drop tiles with functions, it's so simple 7 year olds can create their own games with it and that's awesome.
Def a lot easier and more visually interesting than turtle which is all we had hahah. Or staring at a screen of just gibberish code.

there is something very satisfying about something like html or css though, being able to type in a string of what looks like gibberish and then magically it's a webpage is like...  awesome.

but yeah, computers... they're morons and sadly that means the teeniest wrong thing and they freak out. computers are very very stupid, it doesn't take much to confuse them.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2