The unofficial Makies fan forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lenses for glasses (normal and tinted)

5 posters

Go down

Lenses for glasses (normal and tinted)  Empty Lenses for glasses (normal and tinted)

Post by phoebemonkey Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:28 am

I wanted to make blue tinted glasses for Aspen (like the ones I wear), so I thought I'd share how I got on in case it helps anyone else Smile 

First I got a free swatch book of lighting filters (what they use over lights in theatres etc) - you can get them from here. The swatch book contains every colour you can think of, plus clear, frosted, textured and metallic effect samples. 

Lenses for glasses (normal and tinted)  NP8BmRa

I wanted to use the Makies reading glasses, but to practice I used the nerd glasses since they're bigger and less fiddly! I traced around the shape of the lens (remembering to leave enough to stick to the frames) and attempted cutting out the plastic with a craft knife. Which didn't work very well. So I ended up drawing the outline onto the plastic (using a pen that would wipe off) and then using smallish craft scissors to cut them out. It took a bit of trial and error to get the right shape that would fit properly. 

Lenses for glasses (normal and tinted)  JEMfW05

Next was the fun of trying to glue the lenses onto the glasses. The nerd glasses seemed to stick okay with UHU (or Pritt Stick), although the lenses fell off a few hours later. I also tried thin double sided tape, but it was too thick and left a gap. The best thing seemed to be resin glue (the kind you mix together and have a couple of mins before it sets). I applied it to the glasses with an old paintbrush and then tried putting on the lenses with tweezers... but I ended up holding them down with my fingers because the reading glasses are slightly curved and it didn't stay in place while it was setting. 

Lenses for glasses (normal and tinted)  WcEmDtJ

The end result wasn't perfect, but it works reasonably well. Smile I may try an improved pair in the future at some point...

Lenses for glasses (normal and tinted)  PobDg8w
phoebemonkey
phoebemonkey

http://www.penguinparade.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Lenses for glasses (normal and tinted)  Empty Re: Lenses for glasses (normal and tinted)

Post by jupiternames Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:00 am

I'd love to try this. The lenses look so professional. Thanks for the tutorial and the link!
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Lenses for glasses (normal and tinted)  Empty Re: Lenses for glasses (normal and tinted)

Post by MissRead Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:41 am

They look great!  Well done Smile
MissRead
MissRead

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:18 am

wow these look great! I used white glue/tacky glue to fit lenses into a pair of goggles I made but not sure how well it would stick to the glasses. i'll have to have a play.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by phoebemonkey Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:10 pm

I'm glad you like them. Smile The lighting filters come in so many different colours that it would be relatively easy to make lots of different tinted (or normal) glasses! 

Here's a clearer photo of the finished glasses... they're not this bright (the flash was on) but it's easier to see them. They look just like mine! 

Lenses for glasses (normal and tinted)  IssjnVy

The glasses on their own: 

Lenses for glasses (normal and tinted)  H4jWGRS
Lenses for glasses (normal and tinted)  PCNNH1b
phoebemonkey
phoebemonkey

http://www.penguinparade.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by NoMorePanicDreams Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:34 am

Wow these look awesome I make have to make a pair of rose colored glasses for Prim.
NoMorePanicDreams
NoMorePanicDreams

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum