The unofficial Makies fan forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What else do you collect?

+9
MissRead
howll
Bicefalonia
jupiternames
JRyu
KimonoKittyCat
DollYay
MadWild
Purple_Monkfish
13 posters

Go down

What else do you collect? Empty What else do you collect?

Post by Purple_Monkfish Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:54 pm

We all collect things other than Makies right? Be it dolls, or plushies, or coins... goodness knows.

But share share share! You never know when you might find a kindred spirit and fellow fan!
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

What else do you collect? Empty Re: What else do you collect?

Post by Purple_Monkfish Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:11 pm

Me? I collect dolls... a lot of dolls.

It all started with a Wee 3 Friends doll I found in a charity shop. her little redheaded freckly face just really appealed to me, and she was 50p so I thought "why not?"
From there started a slippery slope. First I researched clothes to fit my new doll, and discovered the Bratz Boyz... and I fell in love.

So then Bratz Boyz came into the house:

What else do you collect? 4688203072_a53e4b0860

Then My Scene got involved.

What else do you collect? 4923034211_e68f1b0121

It escalated... lol. it always does right?

I joined a forum devoted to My Scene to learn more about them, and there I learned about a new line from Mattel.... Monster High.

What else do you collect? 15995288763_f56729e7be

That got out of hand fast.
I don't even know how many I now own.

I also rediscovered a childhood doll, Sindy... aaaand that got really out of hand really fast:

What else do you collect? 10429201834_a8ed8cc8df

<_<

I also have dabbled in other doll lines. Barbie, Moxie Girlz, Bratzillaz, Liv... but my biggest collections are Sindy and Monster High. Those are the two I find myself lusting after the most hah.

And then of course, along came Makies.

As well as dolls I also have a small collection of silly plushies (husband wouldn't let me buy a plushie bus today though... it was a bus and it was squishy man!) and a fair few Zelfs.

I also collect Owls... like.. just owl stuff. Love them.

Then there's the roleplay collection. Husband and I met through the university Role Play society in fact. He bounded over one evening and bounced up and down repeating "play in my game, play in my game" till I agreed. I was swayed by his adorableness. Hehehe.

My personal obsession is AD&D, specifically Planescape which I ADORE. I'm a bit of a D&D nerd bwhahaha.
Sadly most of the rp books are in storage since we moved. We just haven't got the space to have a lot of stuff out on display *sniffle*
It's sad, but it also means a good 70% of my doll collection is in storage as well. they live in plastic tubs in my closet and only come out for photo shoots. *guilty*

The Monster High dolls and the Makies are the only ones who really get to live on shelves. Along with a handful of OOAK Sindy dolls who hang out on my dresser.

Some day... some day I hope to have a house big enough for a "doll room" where I can hide away and play with my dollies bwhahaha.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by MadWild Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:52 pm

Wow, what a collection! And what a cute story of how you met your husband Smile. I love hearing those kinda stories!

Looks like you and I have two collections in common... Makies, and Zelfs! Although I only collect Lil' zelfs, I don't have the space (or money!) for the mediums. I do have medium Birchy and medium Manny though, they were too cute. I just finished series 4 of the Lil's, which is good for me as it means I have enough receipts to hopefully claim a Cleocat! Have you sent off for one? Oh, and if anyone here is looking for any of the Lil' ones, I have a couple of duplicates I'm selling off *subtle plug*....

Other things I collect:
- Kinder egg toys: casually, when I feel like it or when a particularly good range comes out. Enjoying the Avengers ones at the moment!
- Pressed pennies: again, casually, just when I see them
- Madeline Hatter Ever After High Dolls: We share a first name, she's the daughter of one of my favourite characters, and I love her style!
- Buttons: as in, off clothing. I just really like them. I buy unusual ones when I see them, and the occasional jar in an antiques shop.
- Postage stamps: ones I like, anyway! The latest Alice in Wonderland collection made me so happy!!
- Charms: I have a couple of Nomination bracelets. If I had more money, I'm sure I'd join in the Pandora craze too.
- Lalaloopsy Tinies: a very recent thing. Only ones I really like, I'm not trying to find them all (there's hundreds!!), but especially ones of fairytale characters.
- Stationery: is it a collection if I'm just obsessed with it and have more than I will ever use in my lifetime?
- Gorjuss: I love the designs, so collect anything that features them and takes my fancy. Especially the recent figurines, I bought a whole bunch reduced. And the cross stitch kits. And any stationery... The list could go on, but I'll stop there before you all die of boredom!
- Some coins: I am very proud to have collected all of the Olympic 50ps from my change or from trades online. Nice try, Royal Mint, charging £3 for one mint in package - I got them all for free! Or, you know, the 50p they're worth since I'll never spend them...
- Disney pins: specifically The Emperor's New Groove and Oliver and Company ones. It's via a forum about those that I learnt about Ever After High dolls, and that's what led me to Makies and beyond!

Okay, I've definitely missed some stuff, but that covers a fair chunk of it. I have a couple of completed/retired collections from past years and my childhood. As you can probably tell, I like collecting stuff. I'd love to find some other people who collect similar things, I'll enjoy watching this discussion as it develops Smile.

MadWild

Back to top Go down

Post by DollYay Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:48 pm

I collect mostly MH and EAH and a bin of random Barbies. Smile And then there is my one Makie, Sci. And I'm waiting for the My Ballerina Dolls to come out... Aaaaaand I'm saving for the Toner Classical Ballet doll. I have a thing with ballet dolls.Smile
DollYay
DollYay

Back to top Go down

Post by KimonoKittyCat Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:23 am

I collect stuffed toys. Any kind, if I find ones I like I buy them. I also inherited my mom's rubber (eraser) collection and I often add to that when I find cute rubbers though I was more into that when I was a kid. Also I am just starting to get a small collection of dolls, it includes 3 American girls, 3 pullips, a handful of inherited barbies, one monster high and my one makie Nala but I'm sure it will grow soon.Very Happy
KimonoKittyCat
KimonoKittyCat

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:42 pm

Lol, it would probably be easier to list what I DON'T collect. Very Happy

Well, my biggest collection would be my dolls, the majority of which are Asian Ball Jointed Dolls, or ABJDs. I've been collecting ABJDs since 2005, someone on a Yaoi forum was raving about these wonderous, beautiful, articulated, boy dolls she'd seen.
She posted a couple of links, one to a website a person had created to display pictures of her own dolls, and the other was to a forum all about these dolls.

One look, and I realized two things... First, I that I had finally found the dolls I'd been unknowingly searching for all these years, and second, that the intriguing articulated dolls, which I'd only caught a fleeting frustrating glimpse of at an Anime con, had to have been this exact same type of doll.

Now, I can't even begin to tell you how many ABJDs I have, I lost count at 30, and kind of gave up trying to keep track, that was several years ago. I suspect I probably have over 60, and could even have 100 by now. Almost all of them are boys, I have very few girls.

The next collection which I'm still "feeding", would be my dragons. I love dragons, so I have dragon dishes, coffee mugs, T-shirts, pictures, stationary, figurines, dragon toys, stuffed dragons,etc. it's the same with Wolves, foxes, and other wild canids, and lol, yes I know foxes aren't technically canids. Wink

I also have a pretty big collection of dog figurines, stuffed toys, etc., and within my dog collection is a collection specifically devoted to all things poodle. I have been a dog lover and an absolute poodle nut literally all my life.

Next would be my blades, and other "silent" weapons. I collect both full size and miniature swords, knives, throwing stars, etc. I prefer real weapons, although I do have some really well made replicas. I did have all my archery stuff too, unfortunately that was all unintentionally left behind when we moved, due to a screw-up by the packing crew hired by the shipper. The only piece that made it over here, is the long bow that belonged to my Mother when she was a girl. It is too old to be safely used now, but it has sentimental value.

Then there's my anime and manga collection, which includes figures, key chains, plushies, bags, etc. as well as the manga books and anime DVDs. Included in the anime and manga collection is my collection of Yaoi and BL stuff. My Star Trek, and Man from Uncle collections, plus a few bits and pieces from other 60's and 70's shows, and including my prized slash-zines.

I also collect rocks and crystals, interesting stamps and coins, and dice.

I love dice, both regular and D&D dice, singles, pairs, and sets. Lol, I like to think of them as poor man's "treasure", since they are often sparkly, and beautiful. The D&D ones are even faceted like jewels, and they are certainly a heck of a lot cheaper than emeralds, sapphires, and rubies! Very Happy

Oh yeah, I also collect things that have an Autumn leaves motif, especially with oak leaves and acorns. I love Autumn, it is my favorite season. It's something I really miss, since Hawaii doesn't really have a fall. Most everything stays green, and the flowers bloom year round. I love trees as well, especially oak trees, but trees like maples and oaks don't really grow here. it's the year round warmth, and the lack of any real seasons, they need the cool nights and first frosts of Autumn, and the cold winter, to thrive.

Lol, I'm sure I've probably left out several, including the ones that are no longer active collections, and the unintentional collections of things like fabric, art supplies, craft materials, etc. Wink

I can't help collecting things, it's just the dragon in me. We dragon folk simply have to collect and hoard precious things you see. ^_~
JRyu
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

Back to top Go down

Post by MadWild Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:52 pm

JRyu, I feel like you and I might be kindred spirits with our collecting habit :p. I'd love to see pictures of your BJD collection, if you have any? I'm gently dabbling in that pond, reading forums and blogs, and thinking about getting a Hujoo NanoRabi (not resin I know, but to me they're an affordable BJ-style-doll). If you have any advice/suggestions I'd love to hear them, especially if you happen to have a NanoRabi and can tell me what you think of them. Your collections sounds amazing, being so many. Do you favour a particular company or are they all sorts? 

This is a great thread, I'm loving reading about people's collections Smile.

MadWild

Back to top Go down

Post by DollYay Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:44 pm

I used to collect seashells but I've drifted away (pun intended) from that hobby. I have a few squished pennies too... Ah but the dolls, the biggest and fastest growing collection of them all.... Mostly MH and EAH a bin of Barbies and some random smaller brand dolls... And my ballerina doll collection... As I said before I have a thing with ballet dolls... Hehe

I'm still researching BJDs for now but I really not have the money! Lol!  Smile

Last edited by DollYay on Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:48 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Typo!)
DollYay
DollYay

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:39 am

I actively collect Makies, fabric, high-pigment lipsticks, and Sugarpill eyeshadow. My boyfriend says I also collect Indian spices. I have a lot of dormant collections--R&D Susie, Momoko (that's a dark path!), 80s Jem and the Holograms, Hasbro Maxie and dolls who share her body type, 1st gen My Little Pony, World of Warcraft baby Murloc plushes, Berenguer Elfs, hand made Poppets in either Harry Potter or Star Wars theme (by me) and some Barbie. I really haven't bothered with Barbie for a long time, but there are so many of them I couldn't let go.

Here are the Murlocs being trouble as usual:
What else do you collect? 16010125093_e8c111af57

And here are two of my Poppets--the house elf ones:
What else do you collect? 16629885335_d884fbaf51

Then I've got my one-offs--pull-string Pee Wee Herman, my three Barbara Sansoni mice rats,  and various plushies, especially rat ones or ones that were sold as mice, but I knew they were rats all along.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:11 am

Madwild, I have a few pictures, though I don't have any pics that show everyone. I keep meaning to try and take some, but something always seems to come up that has to be attended to before I get a chance to gather the gang and start taking pictures! So then, there goes the time that I'd snitched for the photo session. :-/

Lol, Real Life can be a REAL PAIN in the you know what! Wink

Right at the moment, my iPad is acting up. Suddenly, it has decided that it will only allow me to view the forum in the mobile format, instead of the classic format!?!

I don't know why.... It was letting me use the classic format right up until a day or two ago! Now, every time I try to switch to classic all I get is the forum header, an ad for some hotel app, and stuff at the very bottom..... No threads, no posts, no sub forums!

All I get with the mobile format is grey text boxes with blue dividers, no pictures show up in people's posts, instead you get ---> [See the image], written in purple. You have to click on it and it opens up the image in a separate window from the forum. I can't view the member list, or send private messages, And I don't have a clue how to post pictures in this format... If it is even possible. :-/

Hopefully, I can get on my computer later, try accessing the forum from there,and be able to view it in the classic format. Then I'll try to post a few pics of my BJDs.
JRyu
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

Back to top Go down

Post by MadWild Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:17 pm

Yay, photos! I hope you get the forum back to working normally so that you can post them, I'd really love to see Smile

MadWild

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicefalonia Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:27 pm

hi there! I´ve got to say that i´ve never thought of myself as a collector but after taking some pictures to my shelve maybe i should from now on XD... I guess i collect dolls and all kinds of plastic things (¿?) 

What else do you collect? Img_2011 

What else do you collect? Img_2012

I have lots of body parts in boxes for future projects ... bodies without heads, floating animal heads for hybridation... i guess is what i collect mostly is unfinished projecs =P
Bicefalonia
Bicefalonia

http://bicefalonia.bigcartel.com

Back to top Go down

Post by howll Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:42 am

I collect a variety of dolls.  Monster High used to be the main collection, but it all started with Barbie.  I sold off a lot of my Monster High collection when they were at their peak, no regrets on that one since there was a lot of profit! I mainly only collect the male characters now, and any particular characters that take my fancy (Usually Twyla and Scarah, and any newer dolls that have one offs such as Wydowna and Gilda).  The bulk of my collection comes in the form of Barbie, I used to play as a kid with an older sister, it was inevitable.  Then one day I was browsing eBay and found a Model of the Moment Daria for cheap and it went from there! 

I've got Barbie Playline/Collector, MH, Ever After High, Disney Store Dolls/Designer Collection, Bratz/Bratzillas, Once Upon a Zombie, a BJD, a couple of Integrity Dolls, some Winx and many many more! 

Aside from dolls, I've got a recent big love for Vinyls and I've been buying a LOT of blindbags/boxes (it's becoming an addiction!), my most recent was a Chaos Bunny blind box and that has opened a whole new door into Vinyl Collectibles!  I also have a bit of lego, mainly the blind bags which I also love.  I've realised recently that my space is super limited and so I need to try and reign in what I've got Dx SALES ARE SO TEMPTING!

My Flickr is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/howll/ for anyone interested in seeing my stuffs!
howll
howll

https://www.flickr.com/photos/howll/

Back to top Go down

Post by MissRead Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:38 pm

Gosh what don't I collect would be more appropriate I think!

I have always collected something...used to be stamps, shells, stickers when younger...  I have a collection of 'old people' that line the plate shelf running along our hallway!  Teddy bears, clarinets - I used to restore them and as a musician that was something I loved doing...then chronic pain happened after an operation which put paid to the music, and then dolls happened!
MissRead
MissRead

Back to top Go down

Post by MissRead Sun May 31, 2015 7:50 pm

Okay so I am guessing I can probably include Zelfs in my collecting as it seems I have 8 although two are currently awol!

I took some photos today of a couple of my shelves in the house.  It is quite an eclectic collection really....

What else do you collect? May31s10

This is a shelf in the lounge.

What else do you collect? May31s11

This one is in the hallway - sorry it is at an angle, but I couldn't actually get far enough away to take the photo...so it involved some guess work!

What else do you collect? May31s12

This is a unit in the lounge where the Makies are currently hanging out.

and then there are the activities going on on the floor in the lounge...

What else do you collect? May31s14
MissRead
MissRead

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanilla Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:10 am

I collect blythe dolls, pullips and BJDs. Smile
Vanilla
Vanilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Tehwereferret Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:22 am

MLP, Poppets by Lisa Snellings, FunkoPop
Tehwereferret
Tehwereferret

Back to top Go down

Post by IndigoAndAsh Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:29 am

I was going to say "nothing", then I had to stop and tidy up yarn, so... does yarn count? (My local John Lewis does an excellent sale twice a year, so I tend to save up and bulk-buy then, with only the odd purchase in between. )

I have to admit, since getting Makies and looking at people's blogs, I've been looking more and more at BJDs too. They're so interesting, so many possibilities.

IndigoAndAsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Tesa Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:26 pm

I collect various collectibles Smile Here they are:
What else do you collect? 12062710
All of them (except the Doctor Who ones) are very hard to get in Europe, but I'll go to America next month and will expand my collection there.
Tesa
Tesa

https://mymakie.com/people/tesa/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum