The unofficial Makies fan forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from me and Annie!

+2
Purple_Monkfish
DollYay
6 posters

Go down

Hello from me and Annie! Empty Hello from me and Annie!

Post by MadWild Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:04 pm

Hi there!

I've already posted in the shops section to show off a cute shopping cart I found, but I thought I probably ought to do the introducing myself bit as well!

I'm MadWild, same as I was on the old forum, and my Makie is Annie. I've only got the one so far but no doubt that will grow in the future! My interest in dolls started with Ever After High when I discovered Madeline Hatter - the daughter of one of my favourite characters, the Mad Hatter, and she shares my first name, pronounced and spelt the same which I don't see all that often! So I have three Maddies in my small doll collection, and a single Monster High doll too (Honey Swamp, she's irresistible!). I would collect all the Maddie dolls but just found out from Mattel's customer service rep that two of them are not going to be available in the UK, boo!

So, that's my doll collection. I also collect a whole bunch of other stuff, including Lil' Zelfs, kinder egg toys, Disney pins... You name it, I probably collect it! Anyone else here a perpetual collector?

Annie's demanding that she gets an intro now, so here she is:
Hello from me and Annie! Tumblr_nc5tm0gsrW1r357dso5_250
Sporting her pink hair and lovely onesie. At the moment, she's wearing her blue wig, so she looks a little different than the photo above, but changing up looks is all part of the fun of Makies!

I'm really glad that the forums are carrying on over here, and can't wait to chat with you guys more. Yay for Makies! Very Happy

MadWild

Back to top Go down

Hello from me and Annie! Empty Re: Hello from me and Annie!

Post by DollYay Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:24 pm

She's so cute! Can't wait for more pics!
DollYay
DollYay

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:04 pm

Oh dear, which two eah maddies aren't we getting?
Mattel really do keep screwing over the non us people with their rubbish, it's SO offputting.

I have a huge Monster High collection but the more time goes on, the more irritated I become with their customer service and general "sucks to be you, foreign scum" attitude. *sigh*
Their US customer service is wonderful, but the UK lot couldn't give a damn. I hate calling them because they give you such attitude over the phone and are so unhelpful. Makes me so angry seeing people in the us calling over broken dolls and getting a new one or replacement parts no problem, and then having to argue with someone here to get them to even acknowledge it's their problem.

Honey is gorgeous isn't she? Love that fro, i'm a sucker for a doll with a fro hahaha.
I just can't resist.

your girl is sooo cute! glad to see more people migrating over. I'd hate to lose anyone in the move, the Makies community is so important I think to the whole appeal. Being able to share with other people who "get" the whole Makie personality thing hahaha. Seriously, I think other doll collectors think i'm a but mental when I talk about my Makies demanding stuff.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by MissRead Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:34 pm

Hey there!  Lovely that you have joined us and always good to read what other people collect....I must be one of the few on here that don't have any MH dolls!  Mind you I more than make up for it with the rest of my doll collections Wink
MissRead
MissRead

Back to top Go down

Post by MadWild Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:03 pm

Thank you everyone! It's nice to be here Smile. DollYay, thank you for the compliment! Or rather, Annie should say thank you :p. 

Purple_Monkfish, we're not getting Legacy Day or Mirror Beach. She also said there aren't any Maddies in the Spring/Summer releases, which makes me a little concerned as to whether we'll get Sugar Coated or Way Too Wonderland. It is sucky that they won't release all the dolls here - we get all MH, I don't know why we can't have all EAH!

I absolutely fell in love with Honey. Her hair is amazing, her hat is so cute and I love her face - in my eyes, she's the only MH I've seen that looks like they're smiling, so I really like that.

I'm glad to be among people who understand the Makies personalities as well - they're definitely characters with strong spirits! Other doll collectors who think that clearly just don't get it :p.

MissRead, what other dolls do you have in your collection?

I feel I should have mentioned BJDs, but I don't have any yet, just a keen interest! Thinking about getting a Hujoo NanoRabi (I think the official name is Minipin?) as an affordable little BJ-style-doll to start me off, but still in the thinking rather than buying stage at the moment. If anyone has one, let me know what you think and if they're worth buying! I think the only thing putting me off at the moment is that they come without eyes and I don't know the best place to get any, plus if I wanted any kind of face up I'd have to do it myself... Hmm, best keep thinking and researching for now, eh?

Thanks again guys!

MadWild

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:51 pm

Well we didn't used to get all of monster high either. We missed out on dawn of the dance wave one, and even recently, Sweet Screams wave 2 when Argos decided to ditch them from the catalogue without ever getting the second wave cases in. -_-

I'm not convinced EAH is selling that well over here. I think they really misjudged the price point to be honest.
I do hope we get the boys though (i love the boys, they remind me of Bratz Boyz hahah). I want Aleister just to give him a decent outfit and I really really want them to release Sparrow.. like.. omg guys... where is our loser fedora wearing redhead? GIVE HIM TO UUUSSSSS

But it still sucks they're ditching releases. Good news though? Amazon.com has really super reasonable international shipping and it only takes about 10 days. I recently got all of MH Haunted, four dolls, and including shipping and customs I still saved £17 over buying them in stores here! like.. what?
So even if we don't get them, there's the chance Amazon.com might get them (they aren't exclusive to a certain store right?) and the price will probably be less than the uk price anyway. We get SO robbed for toys these days. £21:99 for a doll that costs $19:99 in the US? Come ON.

Ahh BJD. When I was in university I toyed with the idea of getting some Blue Fairies. Loved Olive and Louis, they were sooo cute. But I could never justify the expense, sadly.
Now i'd be too worried about them being broken, I hear they're not exactly robust and my toys tend to get stolen away by kids here haha.

We totally need a "what else do you collect" thread. yes. It'd be really interesting to see other people's collections. Not just dolls but anything else they happen to enjoy.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MadWild Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:31 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean, I think EAH isn't doing as well here as they hoped. I think they really should try a re-launch with one of the new waves at a better price point. It's a shame we miss out, they're such lovely dolls. I know as a whole Mattel's profits are down, so the quality of new releases has reduced... Ginger doesn't have a bracelet or ring, and lots of the original signature dolls have been re-released in new boxes with fewer accessories. I want to see more of the guys too, but I hope they don't skimp on accessories for them as well!

That's interesting about Amazon.com, may be worth turning to, although in general I avoid Amazon as I don't agree with their tax avoidance or treatment of warehouse staff. There's also an online toy shop run by a guy who buys his stock over from the US. My issue is that I saved up a whole bunch of vouchers ready to buy legacy day Maddie, and I can only use them in stores. I used some getting Hat-tastic Maddie when Argos reduced her recently (and she's amazing!) but can't use the rest to get the two that aren't coming here. If only I could find a way to sell on all these vouchers so I had cash I could put in the bank and spend online!

Blue Fairies are cute Smile. I have to say, I've fallen for Fairyland dolls. I actually won a BJD of my choice in a competition on Tumblr, so chose a LittleFee (who's Alice in Wonderland themed, starting to see the common factor in my collecting? :p) but the order is still being processed. And I do worry a little that it will all turn out to be too good to be true, and I won't get her at all. I keep crossing my fingers and waiting to be told she's on her way but in the meantime, I tell myself not to get my hopes up just in case. 

I do worry that resin is fragile, as you say, BJD aren't exactly robust. Another reason to get a Hujoo rabbit - they're made of ABS plastic, so very durable and strong. Plus, if I get a white one, I can carry on my Alice in Wonderland theme :p.

Yes, we do! I'll happily join in that discussion Smile.

MadWild

Back to top Go down

Post by DollYay Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:39 pm

Purple_Monkfish wrote:Well we didn't used to get all of monster high either. We missed out on dawn of the dance wave one, and even recently, Sweet Screams wave 2 when Argos decided to ditch them from the catalogue without ever getting the second wave cases in. -_-

I'm not convinced EAH is selling that well over here. I think they really misjudged the price point to be honest.
I do hope we get the boys though (i love the boys, they remind me of Bratz Boyz hahah). I want Aleister just to give him a decent outfit and I really really want them to release Sparrow.. like.. omg guys... where is our loser fedora wearing redhead? GIVE HIM TO UUUSSSSS

But it still sucks they're ditching releases. Good news though? Amazon.com has really super reasonable international shipping and it only takes about 10 days. I recently got all of MH Haunted, four dolls, and including shipping and customs I still saved £17 over buying them in stores here! like.. what?
So even if we don't get them, there's the chance Amazon.com might get them (they aren't exclusive to a certain store right?) and the price will probably be less than the uk price anyway. We get SO robbed for toys these days. £21:99 for a doll that costs $19:99 in the US? Come ON.

Ahh BJD. When I was in university I toyed with the idea of getting some Blue Fairies. Loved Olive and Louis, they were sooo cute. But I could never justify the expense, sadly.
Now i'd be too worried about them being broken, I hear they're not exactly robust and my toys tend to get stolen away by kids here haha.

We totally need a "what else do you collect" thread. yes. It'd be really interesting to see other people's collections. Not just dolls but anything else they happen to enjoy.
If you still want dawn of the dance, I believe they are re releasing them as economy, but maybe not in the uk. Same with the original ghouls. And I know Alistar is on amazon right now but he is like $45 usd so I don't know how much the one in the uk is. But I'm pretty sure it's a pre-order...

I'm so sorry about not getting the eah releases! Sad Some of them look so cool!
DollYay
DollYay

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:06 pm

OH I have the DOTD dolls I wanted. I bought Clawdeen years ago and picked up the rereleased frankie, I was so happy she finally got a uk release. She's SO pretty!
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DollYay Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:07 pm

Yeah, I love them all but my personal favorite is Lagoona, and I was so happy for the re release 'cause I never got all of the original ones. Smile Heheh....
DollYay
DollYay

Back to top Go down

Post by KimonoKittyCat Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:57 am

I only have one monster high and that's an original ghoulia but I did do a small customisation on her about a year ago. I love Annie she is such a cutie. Where did you get her adorable onesie? Very Happy
KimonoKittyCat
KimonoKittyCat

Back to top Go down

Post by MadWild Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:44 pm

Thank you! The onesie came from Claire's Accessories. It's meant to be a phone sock but it fits perfectly! I found out thanks to a thread on the old forum. She has a zebra one too Smile.

MadWild

Back to top Go down

Post by Jupeycat Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:46 pm

Hey!

I bought the hujoo rabbit in grey last year from Mimiwoo, she's pretty cute.  This shop has her in white with a face-up:  http://www.angelesque.co.uk/products/pet-dolls/little-minipin-white/

They also have the grey one but it isn't painted.

You can get cheap eyes on ebay.com.  Mine is wearing 12mm acrylics.
Jupeycat
Jupeycat

http://cats.org.uk/dewsbury

Back to top Go down

Post by MadWild Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:38 pm

Hey!

Good to hear you have one. I do think they are cute. Do you put clothes on yours? I was trying to think what on earth would fit such a tiny thing!

That's the dealer I was looking to buy from, they have both grey and white with or without face-up, but the face-up is £28 so actually more than doubles the cost! I would get a blank one I think, and then I can always add a little blushing if I get brave enough :p.

Do you know of any sellers in the UK? I don't really like shopping on ebay.com, I prefer using the UK site than trying to shop in dollars and having the issues with expensive international postage.

Thanks for all the help! Smile

MadWild

Back to top Go down

Post by Jupeycat Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:05 pm

I used watercolour pencil around the eyes and the nose and mouth on mine and I intend to add blush eventually when the weather gets better.  I should probably say if the weather gets better!

I don't know anywhere in the UK for eyes.  I guess I'm so used to shopping on ebay.com and ordering from asian sites now.  I think a lot of the eyes on ebay come with free international shipping or the postage is quite low.  You can always use google to convert the $ into £.

If you really don't feel comfortable with ebay you could always ask Angelesque if they could order you some eyes for your bunny.  I've bought from them in the past and they seem very nice.
Jupeycat
Jupeycat

Back to top Go down

Post by MadWild Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:22 pm

Oh, it's good to hear you can use watercolour pencils on them. I wasn't sure if that only worked on resin dolls. I have some watercolour pencils, so I could try that. 

Okay, I'll have a look around. Thank you for the info, I really appreciate it! Good to hear you've shopped with Angelesque before and found them nice, too.

You didn't mention if you put clothes on your rabbit... Does she wear anything or do you just keep her as she is? I imagine little dresses would be cute but I don't know what doll clothes there are out there that would be the right size.

Also, do you collect other BJDs? Sorry for all the questions but I don't come across many people to ask about this stuff Smile.

MadWild

Back to top Go down

Post by Jupeycat Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:37 pm

Oh sorry, yes she's wearing a little crochet dress I made.  She's a bit of an odd size so I'm not sure what else I could put on her.  I'll have to have a look through my stash.

Yep I collect bjds and other dolls AND bears among other things!

Hello from me and Annie! 16105804520_72b6746d11_z
Jupeycat
Jupeycat

Back to top Go down

Post by MadWild Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:04 pm

Aww, that sounds cute! 

You should join in the discussion we're having in the general area about the other things we collect, sounds like you have a few collections on the go! 

Wow, that's a gorgeous collection! Do I spy some Fairyland ones there? I've fallen in love with that company, I spend way too much time on their website :p. Also, is that a collection of tiny mice?! Very Happy

That fox looks familiar, I feel like I've seen that online... Very sweet little guy/gal!

I want to be all nosy and ask all their names and stuff but I feel I must be bothering you by now with all the questions. Thank you for showing the picture though! They are all really beautiful.

MadWild

Back to top Go down

Post by Jupeycat Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:44 pm

I can give you all their names if you want?  It's one of my favourite subjects Razz.  I'll go check out that other thread.
Jupeycat
Jupeycat

Back to top Go down

Post by MadWild Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:18 pm

Ooh yeah, I'd love to hear more about them Smile

MadWild

Back to top Go down

Post by MissRead Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:09 pm

MadWild wrote:

MissRead, what other dolls do you have in your collection?

Sorry missed this as must have gone away shortly afterwards....  where do I start?  I have Sasha, American Girls, some Kidz n Cats and lots of other miscellaneous dolls!  Sindy, Tressy, Childhood Barbie & Skipper.... too many!
MissRead
MissRead

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum