The unofficial Makies fan forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Waiting for Daughter's Doll / Question

3 posters

Go down

Waiting for Daughter's Doll / Question Empty Waiting for Daughter's Doll / Question

Post by rennew Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:02 pm

Hi everyone
I just ordered my daughter a Makie in her liking...She has 2 older brothers and never really has had "girl" toys....but on a recent trip to Target she pulled out every Barbie toy there was and said that's what she wanted Santa to bring...
As a bit of a...feminist? realist? both? I couldn't go ahead and buy all those Barbie dolls!
I got her a Makie but what I *really* think she loved about Barbie was the other stuff..the RV, the car, the horses etc...

So...my main question...will her Makie doll be able to use Barbie's "stuff?" For example, can we go ahead and tell Santa to bring Barbie car, RV, playsets, horses etc and expect Makie will be able to use them? And if not, what CAN we ask Santa for that willwork well with her Makie doll?

Thanks so much in advance! As a grown adult woman who isn't a doll enthusiast or collector I find myself strangely excited about this doll !
R

rennew

Back to top Go down

Waiting for Daughter's Doll / Question Empty Re: Waiting for Daughter's Doll / Question

Post by Purple_Monkfish Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:12 pm

Makies are 1:6 scale like Barbie, a little shorter and a bit stockier but barbie stuff should work ok. Chairs might be slightly tall, actually Bratz stuff works really well too as they're closer in height (though Makies can wear Barbie clothes amusingly enough, it's too long in arms and legs but otherwise fine lol)
The advantage of non barbie stuff is it's not bloody pink argh. Though there's some nice dining sets and stuff for Barbie right now that look to have minimal pinkness.
Pretty sure Barbie cars will work just fine, as will the horses (though if you want an articulated one, Liv had a great horse called Nutmeg you may be able to find second hand)
You seem to be in the US so Barbie stuff will be easier to find than say, Sindy but I will point out that vintage Barbie stuff is often more realistic looking than the modern stuff. If that kinda thing matters to your little one, she might enjoy some retro furniture.

I have a modern Barbie Sushi set on my desk right now lol, yes, it's totally for my Makies.

Sparkle Girl stuff fits too (the clothing mostly fits except the shoes and the accessories are the right scale) and it's super cheap. 
Most 1:6 scale stuff will be fine for Makies (instruments, furniture. Ikea have a cute living room set called Husset that's awesome) and similarly most clothing for modern Barbie or similar dolls will fit Makies with a little adjustment (pants need shortening and sleeves may need shortening or rolling up)

Ken shoes fit Makies, but they're not exactly girly.

If there's anything particular you have your eye on, let us know and i'm sure someone either has something similar or has that thing to take some pictures of for scale heh.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Waiting for Daughter's Doll / Question Empty Re: Waiting for Daughter's Doll / Question

Post by JRyu Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:14 pm

Hello, and welcome to the world of Makies. ^_^

As purple_monkfish said, most Barbie clothing and accessories will fit reasonably well.  Shorts, Cropped pants, and Capri pants fit best, actually most of the cropped or Capri pants will work as long pants.

Barbie sized long pants will have to be shortened to fit Makies and either hemmed, or if sewing isn't your forte, sealing the raw edge with a little liquid Fray Check should suffice.  Long sleeves can often just be pushed up or rolled, as purple_monkfish said.

While Bratz doll accessories will work with Makies, the majority of the clothing made for both the older released, and I believe, the current Bratz Girlz won't.  However, most of the clothing that was made for the previously released Bratz Boyz fits beautifully, and can easily be found on eBay.  Usually either played with but in good to fine condition, or occasionally even still sealed in the packaging.

All those Barbie accessories you mentioned should work fine, as will most of the often cheaper "Barbie Clone"  1:6 scale fashion doll accessories.

Also, there are some nice outfits and wonderful career accessory sets available from the Makie website shop.  The advantage being that the clothing is colorful, stylish, and pretty enough to please any little girl, without being too overly girly.  Several of the t-shirts have good positive self esteem messages, while others promote the message that it is perfectly acceptable to be a girl and like math and science, or even dinosaurs. ^_~

Please do pop in here anytime if you need help or have any questions. Very Happy

Also please feel free, if you and your daughter would like to share pictures of her Makie, and stories about her Makie's adventures. You are both very welcome here. ^_^

Smile Even though many of us are grownup doll collectors, we all still love playing with and sharing about our dolls. ^_~
JRyu
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down