The unofficial Makies fan forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will they have a black Friday sale?

+9
JRyu
IndigoAndAsh
DocC
Purple_Monkfish
Okore
ozma06
Chove
nattherat
Almostreal
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Will they have a black Friday sale?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Will they have a black Friday sale?

Post by Purple_Monkfish Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:59 am

from my understanding the whole point was the lower the price permanently so those parents would stop whining about cost. those parents STILL whine about cost so not sure it really worked so well.
When I challenged them about their non sale they said they were just "making sure people were aware of the new price" *eyeroll* but that suggests no price hike after this. Just false usage of the word "sale" which is naughty. Oh yes, 0% off is technically included in "up to 35% off" but it's deceptive, rude and quite dodgy. I'm not at all impressed and I don't think anyone else is either. Way to piss off your fans guys.

I mean, they didn't have to do anything for black friday, and if they wanted to, why not a small reduction on accessories to promote the new ones or something? Have like 10% off all outfits and accessories or something like that, with a note "and remember, Makie dolls are now only £49:99" to remind people of the new price. That would have made people go "oh yes, cool", check out the accessories, probably buy some stuff and not make them feel lied to and annoyed. Instead we got a fake sale leaving people feeling deceived and irritated at the company, which is really foolish.
If nothing is reduced, how the hell can they have "sale" on their front page?!
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Will they have a black Friday sale?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Will they have a black Friday sale?

Post by IndigoAndAsh Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:19 pm

The other cheeky bit - as well as there not being a reduction in price, there's a big banner about "free shipping to US, UK, and Canada with every doll" as part of the Black Friday notice.

But... there was already free shipping over £23.50, which meant dolls were free shipping anyway.

Definitely not too impressed. My order is still stuck in processing, but eh, it'll come when it comes.

IndigoAndAsh

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:44 pm

I noticed that too Indigo.
There's a lot of... not-entirely-honest things about the way this is all being worded and handled. I'm a bit shocked to be honest, since I wouldn't have thought it of them.

I agree P_M. I think it would have been better not to advertise anything at all. If you can't afford to put things on a sale because say the production costs are too high, then it's fine - better to have no sale, than to... pretend there is one. This is all a bit unbelievable to actually watch, given the previous great experiences we've all generally had with the lab.
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:25 pm

Yes, and I can't help but wonder how much of all this is due, either wholly or in part, to being under Disney's mentorship.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Disney, but I still realize that they are in fact a huge multimillion dollar corporation... a huge American corporation, with American corporate values, ideals and goals, and the American corporate mindset.

So I view that whole mentorship thing as being a bit of a double edged sword.Neutral

Lol, I love wolves too, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'd trust them to look after my sheep. Wink
JRyu
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:59 pm

It's now a "cyber monday sale" -_-

Suffice to say, given em hell on social media about lying to customers about sales and reductions when there are none. it's just flat out rude.
This sort of poopy isn't the behavior i'd have expected from Makie labs, it's concerning. I wonder if perhaps the "glory days" are gone and we're looking at a slippery slope of "money first, customer a distant second" mentality.

Maybe once the big boss returns from disney she can bust a few heads and get them to behave properly again, I dunno. I'm.. wary.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:41 am

This does look really bad. I'm sort of thinking, maybe I'll just wait for a real sale. I don't know. I had intended to pick up career packs, glasses, and a wig or two for black Friday. I'm feeling pretty lied too as well. There are the "sales" and we were told the shoes would be backward compatible. I feel stupid for believing it. I'm honestly starting to doubt that there will be 3Dp bodies again. It just feels like I can't trust that.

I don't know what I think about the IM bodies for natural-looking Makies, but I want to do more dye projects so ultimately, I'm not happy with the change. I've been feeling like each time they make a change, they get a little bit further from being the company that sells exactly what I'm looking for.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:29 am

I know what you mean jupiter. The removal of the boys, even if it is temporary is a huge step backward for me as well given I mostly collect male dolls. I might buy a couple more girls in the new year, but most of my ideas involve male dolls so it limits my spending somewhat not to have that option.
Removing them before christmas I think was a stupid move, the timing of all the changes was dumb. It means no little boys get Makies for christmas and that annoys me. I mean, I GET that mostly girls get girl dolls but that minority of little boys who love dollies and would like a mini me miss out and boys already get such a short end of the stick when it comes to dolls.
They've even taken photos of the girl dolls wearing the boy outfits for the shop and I dunno, it makes me uneasy. There's a big bias toward girl, only girl dolls pictured in the banner, only girls on the advertising, it feels like a backslide when there's such a push to drop gendered marketing in toys.

I hope we see 3dp bodies again, I think they're bloody idiots to ignore the requests of the adult community as we have more money than the kids and are more likely to buy multiple things. People who'll happily amass 30+ Makies in a year should surely be worth more as customers than a few kids who's parents buy them a single doll? Most kids will get one, maybe 2 if they're lucky over a year while the grown ups? they'll order one a month if they can afford it. It's a much more lucrative market, so trying to tap both strikes me as the wisest decision they could make.
Spread your profits you know?

Dye projects were addictive, I miss that option.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:18 am

jupiternames wrote:There are the "sales" and we were told the shoes would be backward compatible. 

Wait, are the new shoes not backwards compatible? That's incredibly disappointing.

I read that as part of their deal with Disney, Makies will have the option of Disney character clothing (there was a picture of a little Maleficent t-shirt!). I think that's... perhaps the only thing I'm looking forward to at this point! Career packs are good, but as of yet don't include anything I want. The shoe packs are too restraining (I don't necessarily want all three pairs of shoes, and don't want them in those colours), and the selection of wigs hasn't grown a huge amount since I've been following (how about some more curly options, and especially more ginger options). Existing available clothes are really quite samey in design. Whilst it doesn't affect me personally, the removal of boy makies is also incredibly restrictive. Not to mention that IM just isn't for me. Also... where's the wheelchair? I know things take time, but it's like the Toy Like Me campaign was just called done at the hearing aids and implants. No wheelchair, no insulin pumps. Pile this on top of all of the very dodgy PR this weekend.

So for me too, it feels like they're moving more and more away from the company they were even just half a year ago. Maybe it'll all come together at a later date and all of this will have just been little bumps in the road, but in the meantime I suppose I've stopped being a consumer of their products because they no longer line up with what I was originally coming to MakieLabs for. I'm still here and following because my 3 makies are great, and I'm hoping something I like will resurface in time. But for the moment? :/
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:18 pm

I don't recall reading anything that sounded like the shoes wouldn't fit our old Makies.  

Not to mention most of the shoes in the sets are slip on shoes, so unless the IM bodied Makies have smaller feet, those shoes should still fit. Smile

It did say that the high heel shoes are designed to fit a flat foot, which I take to mean that you will no longer need to have the special high heel feet, in order for your Makie to wear the new high heeled shoes.

So to me that seems like a good thing, especially since I only have one set of high heel feet.  I bought them in Cocoa Bean for Rayne so she could wear the black high heels that came in one of the old accessories sets.
Lol, at the time she was the only Makie girl I owned that was interested in, and old enough to wear high heels.

Now I have a few more older girls in Caramel and Strawberry who would also like to wear high heels, so they should be able to wear these.  Very Happy

Had we been able to choose from different colors for the shoes, I would have ordered multiples of the sets, that high heeled set in particular. 

Hopefully, we will eventually go back to being able to buy single pairs of shoes again, and in the color of our choice.

I bought the careers sets, mainly for the different outfits, since they aren't being offered separately.  

Also, I know the little accessories will all be claimed by one Makie or another.  Smile    Even the kitten, which I'm really hoping does actually fit in the pet carrier.

Although, my Pukis may be the ones who end up with that teeny tiny ukulele.  Wink  

Since we are getting all these cute career accessories, I do hope the Lab is planning on offering optional IM Makie compatible hand packs or sets.  

Children, not to mention us adults, will be very disappointed if our new IM Makies aren't going to be able to hold all these cool new accessories too!

It sounds like they are possibly planning on releasing additional different career sets in the future, so maybe we will see a scientist set with test tubes and other lab equipment.  Smile
JRyu
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:45 pm

The shoes that came with my IM doll DO NOT fit the 3dp dolls, they're too narrow. The 3dp foot might possibly squeeze in but I didn't want to risk damage. The IM feet are def a little smaller, Fizz' old shoes keep falling off Ad and it's not just because his feet are slippy IM plastic, they're too big now.
So that makes me wary of backward compatability. I mean I assumed it'd be fine but becasue people kept asking I checked, the fact Ad's 3dp shoes don't fit the 3dp feet is concerning and makes me suspect none of the shoes will fit now.
How the hell they managed that one, goodness knows.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tehwereferret Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:48 pm

Oh the toy like me campaign is one of the biggest things missing right now. If you look at their FB page, people are asking what happened to it. It confused the heck out of me they'd start that, then go "eh IM all the way". Practically threw the ability to customize the bodies with markings out the window.
Tehwereferret
Tehwereferret

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:59 pm

good point, as well as throwing away the ability to quickly and easily do things like artificial limbs. The 3dp tech meant they could prototype and then move to production really fast, so could churn out several different ideas and work with those to rapidly get out a working product. Making moulds is really time consuming, which is the main delay for anything IM.

That said, you can still paint IM bodies, so markings can still be done. But the hands with canes will no longer work (will they make grippy hands and separate canes instead?), I doubt we'll now see prosthetic limbs (damnit) and they've removed the whole section. Glad I got my green hearing aids when I did as those seem to be gone too. Why oh why do they only do them in pink? When they can custom print in any damn colour, WHY limit the aids and implants like that? I don't understand that. If they can print the shoes and glasses any colour from a long list, why can't we get black hearing aids? or purple coclear implants?
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IndigoAndAsh Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:44 am

Dammit, I meant to pick up another pair of hearing aids to paint (I like the green ones, but I'd like some more "standard" black/silver ones like mine too)

I understand that they're adapting, trying new things, but it does seem like everything "non-standard" - disability stuff, or boys being included in doll stuff, the non-white dolls looking good - was the first to go.

IndigoAndAsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ForestGreen Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:22 pm

I'm terribly disappointed by the Lab's shenanigans lately. If I had known that they would be removing all of the reasons I wanted to buy a Makie 2 or 3 months after I bought my first, I wouldn't have bothered.

When they announced the change over to IM, I bought 2 more 3DP dolls. I had assumed that I would still be able to buy shoes, wigs, and other accessories that would fit my 3D printed Makies. Then they say that the pegs on the new bodies are smaller (or larger, I don't quite remember) so they will be redoing the shoes and hands and the new ones won't fit the 3D printed bodies. "OK, I can still buy wigs....", WRONG! They also revamped the skull and are gluing the wigs down before shipping.

I finally went to the website again because I got the notice to reset my password. Everything there worked fine and I could see all of my virtual Makies, my only complaint was that they were in the wrong order. I must be one of the very few who's account actually works like it's supposed to and I can't find a single thing on the site that I want to pay money for. I expected the lack of boys, but I didn't expect to see the girls wearing the boys outfits. I like the new pumps, but I don't need 3 pairs and definitely not in those colors, so I guess it's fine that they won't fit my 3DP girls anyway. Glasses would be nice, but necessarily those particular pairs and not in those colors. Why can't I customize my glasses pack? The professions packs are cute but why are there so many pastels?

The so-called sales leave a sour taste in my mouth. I'm having a difficult time understanding how a good, upstanding company, like I believed Makie Labs to be, could do something so shifty. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

I do like the addition of the wishlist on the website and the customize button gives me (hopefully not false) hope that eventually we will be given a choice about colors. I hope they think about selling the shirts/dresses and leggings separately too, there are quite a few outfits that just have one piece I like.

My plan is to sit back and wait patiently while the Lab works out the issues it's having. My doll budget still needs time to recover from the late summer panic. If I still don't like what I see after about 6 months or so I'll take my doll business elsewhere and Makie Labs won't see any more of my money.

I had been planning to take one of my Makies to an open-source conference I go to every year to show to a few of my friends who have kids. I know they would like the 3DP dolls and the customization that can be done with them but I'm not sure they would think that the IM bodies are worth the price. All of the really cool features that I think would sell the dolls to them are no longer available to purchase.

ForestGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:04 pm

Yeah, I'm trying hard to stay positive and ignore that sinking feeling I have in the pit of my stomach....

But with every new change I'm seeing and or experiencing, it is getting harder and harder. Neutral

It also doesn't help that I've been going through a lot of similar disappointments with my favorite BJD Company, since December of 2013. Sad

After being what I consider a good, supportive, loyal customer.... Well, this feels an awful lot like suddenly being stabbed in the back by someone you considered a friend.... Like a betrayal...

Et tu Makies?

P_m and Indigo, I checked the Makies shop yesterday, after reading your posts, and apparently what they've done is lump both the pink and green hearing aids under one listing.

If you click on the listing, and click on the "add to cart", and "customize and add to cart" buttons you will get to a page where you can choose between pink or green before you actually add it to your cart.

Now, why they did this with the hearing aids, but not the cochlear implants...... scratch
JRyu
JRyu

Back to top Go down

Post by littleplaces Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:01 am

When the new career and shoe packs were announced, there was a brief period when there was free shipping on everything. I managed to grab a high heel shoe set, but after reading P_m's comment about shoes not fitting, I'm concerned that I might have wasted $13 (even if shipping was free ;3; ) I do recall Jen telling the facebook group way back in August that slip-on style shoes would be backward compatible and work on both 3dp and IM.

As for the non-sale, man, what a disappointment. Last year they ran a week-long (or so) sale where everything was 25% off. I had enough time to save up to get my lovely Flora and even snag some new clothes and spare leggings. (God, I wish they would bring back just the leggings.)  Given the date, I suspect it's too late for them to run a sale and be able to keep up with the holiday demand. So... maybe we'll get a special New Year uber sale to make up for it? Sad
littleplaces
littleplaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:39 am

boxing day sale maybe? heh.
And yeah, last year is when I got my first three and I got three BECAUSE of the sale. I was saving for one but the sale meant I could afford 2 and husband pointed out a third added on wasn't that much more than 2 at full price lol so 3 happened. I regret nothing.

And I mean I understand they can't afford to run a sale every year, and that's fine. Sales are nice but not something we're "entitled" to or whatever, just... faking a sale sits uneasily.
I harrassed their twitter and facebook people (may be the same person, dunno) who argued the new stuff is cheaper than the old stuff was but that's not what "sale" means! If a product is brand new it can't be "on sale" if it's simply cheaper than the item it replaced, and more to the point, how can it be a "sale" if the price remains low  indefinately? that's a price reduction, a permanent price drop, NOT a sale. Sales are, by their very nature, temporary.

I'm worried about the shoes too littleplaces, hoping the ones that came with Ad are a fluke or something and the ones sold in packs will actually be backward compatible but i'm not convinced at this point. It feels like they want to just walk away from their existing customer base, chasing some elusive market they've decided is "the target" rather than embracing what they have. It does hurt, because it really does feel like an old friend leaving you for someone else or whatever.
I've had a bit too much of that particular heartache in my life, which is probably why I get so defensive and cranky when things change. Change is bad to me, change means in most cases I get kicked out and i've had enough of being shoved out of things. *sulk*

I do hope the lab come to their senses and realise they CAN have both their existing older market AND this much wanted kid market as well. They don't have to pick one over the other, we're able to share the Makie love, we just want to feel involved and considered. Screwing up backward compatibility feels like a first step in turning their back on the market that made them what they are today, and that's really foolish.

I wonder if we'll ever see those grippy hands etc, or if they'll ever bother to do more toy like me stuff after the initial publicity. *sigh* the idea of prosthetics seems completely not gonna happen now due to IM bodies, which means we'll have to craft them ourselves. It's doable, but not the point of the TLM campaign, the whole point of that was that you didn't need artistic talent to have a doll to represent you or your child and the importance of having that representation available commercially rather than as a OOAK custom.
They could have so easily printed artificial legs and arms for makies with the click on joints, but alas, that's really unlikely to happen now. Bah.
Looks like they abandoned the insulin pumps as well and it's kinda sad, it's like they got what they wanted from the campaign, all that publicity and now it's like "see ya, you served your purpose"
though I may just be being unfairly cynical.

I'd rather like an ETA on this torso they're supposedly printing for me, but I guess if it reaches 2 weeks with no news I have to just email again. *sigh*
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ForestGreen Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:23 pm

Purple_Monkfish, I never did get an email when Robin's new head went to print or when it was shipped. Luckily the shop where we get our mail left a message with my husband when the package arrived.

JRyu, I hadn't seen the hearing aids or the cochlear implants on the site the last time I was there. I went back because I was curious, and I now see customization options on both the hearing aids and cochlear implants. Maybe they are making progress.....

Littleplaces, I would love it if they offered separates for our Makies. I'll cross my fingers and hope your new shoes will fit the 3DP dolls.

ForestGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by littleplaces Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:18 pm

Good news, everyone! The new high heel shoes fit! They are a bit snug- had to literally pop them on. But that made me appreciate the fact that these shoes are way less likely to fall off during an outing. Haven't tried to pry them off yet, but I wanted to let you all know how things turned out so far Smile

Will they have a black Friday sale?  - Page 2 23500407885_e6b698d31e_z

By the way, the shoes in real life look HUMONGOUS. Makie feet oddly make them seem a little smaller, lol.

EDIT:  ALSO! I forgot to mention that I didn't get a shipping notification from the Lab. The shoes just showed up after DHL called me this morning to let me know there was a package to be delivered within 24 hours o.o
littleplaces
littleplaces

Back to top Go down

Post by ForestGreen Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:32 pm

That is wonderful news littleplaces!

I really like the way the pumps look on their feet, now I just have to hope that they will offer a choice of colors in the future. I think I could manage to make the black pair and blue pair work, but I would need to figure out how to recolor the red ones with materials I already have on hand.

ForestGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:53 pm

That is SUCH a relief. not sure how happy i'd be with them fitting so tight myself, worried about scratches hahah. I'm so pleased they work though, and they did away with the honestly rather silly foot variations. With an ankle joint, you really shouldn't need differently shaped feet for heels so good they finally realised that.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DocC Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:08 am

What's the deal? I still can't order the $172 worth of stuff I had in my cart. No one has got in touch with me since before Thanksgiving. I still get linex code or something every time I try to pay.
DocC
DocC

Back to top Go down

Post by DocC Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:45 am

So I just came home from surgery and started over again (a $173 order) and they only way it lets me place it, is with $20 shipping. Is this because the "sale" is over? I have been trying to place an order since before Black Friday. I wrote support a pissy note. I just want to SCREAM!
DocC
DocC

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:23 pm

Jen mentioned they'd stopped free shipping in general because it was causing massive borking with the system but after such a mess with the "promotion" of black friday I can't help but feel they should honour it for those who couldn't order thanks to THEM screwing up. Not a great welcome home, sorry to hear. I hope surgery went well though.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:05 pm

Yes, she posted something about it on Facebook, I think.  

Frankly, I'm glad Jen is back! I love you
I swear it feels like she's the only one who really seems to care about us, the mostly adult Makie collectors. Rolling Eyes

Btw, I ran across an older email announcement from Jen, that was in my old email account.  It was talking about someone named Christine or Christina, some marketing and sales expert from L.A., that they had just hired.  Has anyone heard any more about her?  

Has she even bothered to post on Facebook or any other Makie sites to introduce herself and say hello? Neutral

I can't help but wonder just how much influence this L.A. marketing and sales expert has, and whether it's her hand we're seeing in some of these changes.   Things like this sudden spiffy new website, and the infamous "Not Sale" sales we were offered.  Also, the subtle attitude changes towards their old repeat customers, and the just odd vibes that a lot of us have been feeling lately. o_0

Last edited by JRyu on Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
JRyu
JRyu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next