The unofficial Makies fan forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have there been any IM bodies yet?

+15
ForestGreen
Miss Heny
ichibidrop
LisaK
ellarose
Chove
MissRead
sigsi
Tehwereferret
jupiternames
DapperDucky
nattherat
DollYay
Purple_Monkfish
IndigoAndAsh
19 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Have there been any IM bodies yet? - Page 2 Empty Re: Have there been any IM bodies yet?

Post by Tehwereferret Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:35 am

Worse comes to worst, I'm sure we can figure out a way to fix the edges.
Tehwereferret
Tehwereferret

Back to top Go down

Have there been any IM bodies yet? - Page 2 Empty Re: Have there been any IM bodies yet?

Post by nattherat Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:14 am

Yep, that's the video. It's the finishing of the edges and the shine that put me off. I like customising a lot, but I really wouldn't fancy dealing with that.

I got the email too. Strawberry milk is the only one that looks spot-on I think - which is good since I'm considering one as a present to someone else. Still worried about the general finish though.
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by IndigoAndAsh Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:27 am

I'm not keen on the shiny, or the screw in the back. I think what I'll do is wait for them to restock the shop, use up my gift card on clothes for the three I have, and then see six months or a year down the line where things are with the bodies. They'll probably have gone through a few revisions by then.

(I admit, I am a little disappointed because I was quite optimistic, but hey, you can't win them all!)

IndigoAndAsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LisaK Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:04 am

IndigoAndAsh wrote:I'm not keen on the shiny, or the screw in the back. I think what I'll do is wait for them to restock the shop, use up my gift card on clothes for the three I have, and then see six months or a year down the line where things are with the bodies. They'll probably have gone through a few revisions by then.

(I admit, I am a little disappointed because I was quite optimistic, but hey, you can't win them all!)

That's what I'm thinking too. My initial plan was to order one next month or so. By the time I had made up my mind about getting a Makie, they had stopped taking orders for 3D ones - which I only realized afterwards when I joined this forum. But looking at the finished I.M. result, I may postpone it until they've improved it somewhat. Now I kind of regret missing out on the full 3D ones. But what kept holding me back was the fact that so many people said that the rough texture snagged certain fabrics. Ugh.

LisaK

Back to top Go down

Post by ellarose Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:56 pm

I have a gift card for my birthday, so I'll probably order my strawberry milk girl since I'm scared to order my cocoa girl until they fix the dolls more. I think the finish is really annoying and too shiny, but I'll see what I can do to make her look better. Why couldn't they do a matte finish to match the heads? So many questions.
ellarose
ellarose

Back to top Go down

Post by DollYay Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:25 pm

I've decided to probably get Kitty for my birthday, and she's strawberry . (You can see her through the link to my virtual Makies down in the signature.) I really do want more diversity to my gang though, and all I have is two strawberry and a white Hujoo girl. Oh well. I guess one more strawberry can't really hurt until the fix the darker ones. Smile
DollYay
DollYay

Back to top Go down

Post by sigsi Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:07 pm

LisaK wrote:
sigsi wrote:There is a preview of the IM bodies in the FB group currently (I would post pics but Jen wrote she didn't want the pics to spread outside the group).
On a plus note, she said there will be official pics on the website in the next few days along with some information in an email/announcement.
I'd love to join the group! What's the link?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/OfficialMakiesFanGroup/ Smile
sigsi
sigsi

Back to top Go down

Post by LisaK Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:52 pm

sigsi wrote:
LisaK wrote:
sigsi wrote:There is a preview of the IM bodies in the FB group currently (I would post pics but Jen wrote she didn't want the pics to spread outside the group).
On a plus note, she said there will be official pics on the website in the next few days along with some information in an email/announcement.
I'd love to join the group! What's the link?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/OfficialMakiesFanGroup/ Smile
Thank you! :-) I just applied to join

LisaK

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Heny Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:38 pm

I got very irk at seeing the new IM bodies... ugh I saw so many flaws!! *sigh* will wait and see what happens..
Miss Heny
Miss Heny

Back to top Go down

Post by sigsi Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:39 pm

LisaK wrote:Thank you! :-) I just applied to join
No problem Smile.
Oh I forgot to mention earlier, you might want to send a private message to Marti Bennett (one of the admins of the page) saying that you applied for the page and are a real person. Otherwise you could be dismissed as a robot/spam and denied access. Good luck Very Happy
sigsi
sigsi

Back to top Go down

Post by MissRead Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:44 pm

Looking at that video - it looks like the feet come off too easily and the arms bend both ways at the elbow....not a good look...ouch!

I've never had any problem with the 3dp bodies snagging clothing.
MissRead
MissRead

Back to top Go down

Post by ellarose Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:58 pm

My thinking is, because I want to get more Makies right now, I can get them in IM bodies and then later if makielab offers the 3DP bodies again (which, hopefully they will) I can replace the IM body with a 3DP one.
ellarose
ellarose

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:39 am

I'm also really...unconvinced by the IM bodies at this point. I'm having a little trouble with the shine combined with the mono color skin. Looking at Lizzie, who is standing nearby without her clothes (she's been doing some modeling for me), one of my favorite things about her is the subtle uneven skin tone that she has. And I really just can't face the screw. On the other hand, I might be interested in buying an IM limb at some point if that's an option. I feel like it would make a GREAT prosthetic limb.

I'm hoping that there will be a video or detailed picture review of the articulation soon, though, because I'm not really sure how much I want to base any assumptions on that video. Actually the way the IM limbs moved was a little reminiscent of the way Allie's limbs move. She has the V1 body and her elbows can do some very unnatural things. Initially I thought of making her a cyborg or robot.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:28 am

Husband ordered a girl a few days ago who'll be on the IM body, i'll be sure to do a full review of her. I'm umming and ahhing about ordering my boy though. Biggest issue for me is how badly the cocoa matches the dye and my boy will be cocoa.
I'm waiting for ebay auctions to finish before I decide if I can justify it. I don't much like the screw for the girl bodies either, why is there a screw? I've never seen an IM doll with a metal screw in their back like that.

I'll be trying to matte down the shine so the difference isn't too major. Once dressed it'll likely be not too noticeable anyway but the dark greyish brown hands with the warm reddish brown of the cocoa face? that's gonna bug the hell outta me.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by ForestGreen Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:45 am

The video made me really glad I ordered what I thought I needed before the switch. I really didn't care for the hard shine that the limbs had, and the feet looked like they came off way too easily. The picture of the female body with the screw in it bothered me too. 

I'll continue making stuff for my 3 makies (and even take some pictures to share) and focus more on my other dolls while I wait for the Lab to iron out any bugs with the IM bodies and maybe decide to offer the 3DP bodies again. Maybe by the time my bank account has recovered from the August panic everything will be settled again.

ForestGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful Owl Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:46 pm

I'll "never say never" to the new body, but my feeling right now is that I'm just not interested in owning one for myself. I can see the benefits of an IM body to the company financially, and to kids who don't care either way, and those kid's parents budget, and for people who want to dress their crew with delicate bjd clothes, and those who need extra movement for something like stop motion. I also have no expectation that the decisions of a company should revolve around my personal tastes. But none of the specific benefits of IM apply to my personal taste, or the way I relate to and interact with this specific doll.
My plan is to just enjoy making things for the crew I have and hope the lab's much appreciated attempts to offer a 3DP option work out in the future. I need to work on enjoying what I have vs. acquiring more things anyhow. Lol.

Artful Owl

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:06 pm

I think it's interesting how divided this change has made the community, with many many older fans just not having it.
I do hope they see that and the loss of a very lucrative market and give us the option. after all, adults have more money than kids right.

I'll likely end up ordering my boy anyway because my dolly crew needs him heh, along with a veloceroptryx (and if you don't know what that is, look it up. It brought a smile to my face anyway. Gotta love madness).  But I would rather he didn't have mismatched limbs.

Still, we'll see. I can't judge something till i've handled it.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sigsi Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:29 pm

I can see the Makies Lab side in wanting more purchases from people with kids who just wouldn't care, but I do think they should (and hopefully will) offer a more expensive option for the adult collectors.
I just found the Makies back in March and I know I will not buy any of the IM versions. I showed my 7-year-old brother the pictures of the new bodies (he pays very close attention to detail) and all he asked was when the old bodies will come back again as he likes the ones he has.
I could see potentially de-shining the skin, but that screw in the back of them really bugs me. Honestly the back-plate bugged me a bit as well but a shiny silver thing in the middle of their back would bug me so much more. And of course the coloring of the skin is scream-worthy. The skin texture is something I particularly loved as well, so I'm hoping they will bring back the 3d bodies soon. Neutral In the mean time, store items will do (cough cough christmas Smile )

Last edited by sigsi on Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
sigsi
sigsi

Back to top Go down

Post by Chove Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:36 pm

I gotta admit I'm disappointed by the new bodies. That really poor cocoa match is the main thing that's putting me off, though the shiny-body/matt-head thing is quite unattractive as well. Sad 

Maybe I'll get used to them as more owner pics appear?
Chove
Chove

http://chovedolls.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:37 am

Artful Owl wrote:I'll "never say never" to the new body, but my feeling right now is that I'm just not interested in owning one for myself. I can see the benefits of an IM body to the company financially, and to kids who don't care either way, and those kid's parents budget, and for people who want to dress their crew with delicate bjd clothes, and those who need extra movement for something like stop motion. I also have no expectation that the decisions of a company should revolve around my personal tastes. But none of the specific benefits of IM apply to my personal taste, or the way I relate to and interact with this specific doll.
My plan is to just enjoy making things for the crew I have and hope the lab's much appreciated attempts to offer a 3DP option work out in the future.  I need to work on enjoying what I have vs. acquiring more things anyhow. Lol.
Oh, for sure! I think their choice makes sense from a business standpoint. And I may change my mind about IM bodies or get used to them. I'm not really mad, or even upset. They haven't lost a customer at all, because I'll likely be back for shoes and accessories. Especially if they have any old stock. I'd really like more of their boots and a pair of the red sneakers. I'm honestly just thankful that I ordered as many as I did and want to work on making things for those Makies. I'm definitely on the "enjoy what I have" program--after my huge purchase it's time to save!

I wish I'd picked up little Neré, though!
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:25 am

I'm kinda wishing i'd grabbed more when I could but I honestly couldn't afford it. I pushed it ordering the 5 I did.
But then I got a bit addicted to dying them, oops?

Maybe something will come up on the second hand market to sate that fix. I haven't seen any for adoption Makies in a while though, least not on Ebay and they go in seconds in the groups *sigh* I'm never fast enough.

Apparently all the bits come apart easier which could be useful for large custom works though. I was umming and ahhing about getting Asher but that involves making him a prosthetic leg, the IM plastic will likely be a LOT easier to cut below the knee so I can retain the knee joint.
I wonder how thick the plastic is, like.. how much you can sand down before you make a hole (for like chest alteration which a few people do).
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ForestGreen Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:47 am

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'll never buy from them again. I'm just going to be patient and wait while they figure out what they are going to do and how they are going to do it. Even if they don't offer another 3DP body, I still plan to buy wigs, clothing, and accessories from them. I really want to see them succeed.

ForestGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:20 pm

accessories yessss! I've gotta wait for more stuff to sell though, my ebay sales didn't go as well as i'd hoped so i'm not as flush for cash this month as i'd have liked *sigh*
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MissRead Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:16 pm

Seeing a couple of the new bodies I am still so pleased I ordered the last two when I did...I do kind of wish I'd been able to order another two but there was no way I could manage that - as it was I well exceeded my budget and am frantically trying to sell things to pay for my upcoming visa bill!  

I hope that the new shoes and accessories will still be compatible with the old 3dp bodies as I wish I'd bought a few more boots!
MissRead
MissRead

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:03 pm

They said that the accessories should still be compatible, so I have hope!
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next