The unofficial Makies fan forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Theral's crew

+2
Artful Owl
jupiternames
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Theral's crew Empty Theral's crew

Post by jupiternames Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:27 pm

I've dyed Ilaria and got pretty far with her clothes.

I ended up using a whole pack of golden yellow, 1/2 teaspoon of kelly green, and either two or three teaspoons of tan. I lost track. I also used a LOT of water and 1 cup of white vinegar.

I removed all her makeup, except for the tiniest bit of pink that wouldn't come off. I used soap and water to do this and scrubbed with a kitchen brush. I also went back over tough areas with isopropanol, but then red-washed after. I'm not sure that the isopropanol is any more effective than water.
Theral's crew 20947859374_d4450667a5

Here are a bunch of test strips to check the dye color. This was as I added more and more of the yellow (until I ran out).

Theral's crew 20947858664_ea73b1e59a

At that point I felt I had to either add more tan, live with this level of green, or give up for the night. I decided that if I wanted her browner, I would just re-dye her later, so I didn't add any more tan.

This is what she looked like once she was dry (slightly off eye--whoops!). She's significantly greener than I was trying for, but she's still an okay color to look like a Mirialan. I also have a piece of white knit that I used this dye on. I'll get a picture of it for reference a bit later, but it's WAY yellower than Ilaria! I wonder why the green is so strong on the nylon.

Theral's crew 20949495343_6c43650682

And here's how she looks now, as she politely looks away from topless Theral...I swear I'll make poor Theral a shirt to go with her pants soon!

Theral's crew 20952954303_0532dc5413

The shapes on her chin are tattoos that her culture uses as a mark of completing some sort of special task or test. She's still young (16), so she hasn't got too many.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Theral's crew Empty Re: Theral's crew

Post by Artful Owl Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:23 pm

She is so awesome! The way you did her face-up does such a great job of moderating the green into a believable skin tone that photographs well. So pretty. Even if she isn't the exact color you were trying for (I'm not well versed in this extended universe.), I think that green looks fantastic.

Edit to add: Also digging the wig, and the tattoos...and I'm probably just going to park here and stare at her for a while. Lol

Artful Owl

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:38 pm

Aww, thanks so much!! I had been really pleased with the way the blush the lab gave her played up her sweet features, so I tried to give her a little blush myself. I really need to get some sealant now! I'm certainly not going to re-dye her. How does she compare in color to Sour?

For reference, here is a Mirialan from the prequils, which nobody should be well versed in. Ever.

Theral's crew 21577697465_d1a1aa7d54

All joking aside, they did have some great costumes in the prequils.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:07 pm

I reallky love the green she is! she looks awesome
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful Owl Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:42 pm

Oh, the ref photo helps. I think she reads as Mirialan, for sure. Comparing the green to Sour, Ilaria is much more yellow. I kept a jar of Sour's dye for the sake of repairs, or new hands, or a rainy day. I just did a paper towel dip (for the sake of comparing like to like). I also popped an arm off for a side by side and my girl seemed to pick up more of the yellow tones than the blue (totally opposite from P_M's experience). Weird.
Theral's crew <a href=Theral's crew Sours_10" />

And here is a side by side. For dye ratio comparison purposes, I used about a half packet of Kelly green Rit to about a half packet of golden yellow rit, less water and the same amount of vinegar.
Theral's crew <a href=Theral's crew Compar10" />

Artful Owl

Back to top Go down

Post by ForestGreen Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:28 am

Ilaria is beautiful! You've given her a great skin tone.
It's been forever since I watched any Star Wars and I have yet to watch episodes 2 and 3 because I was so disappointed with episode 1.

ForestGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:13 am

Artful Owl, thanks for posting the comparison!! That's a great idea to have kept some of the dye. Unfortunately, mine all went down the drain. I still can't get over how much I like the shading you did on Sour. The colors are so vivid. And her wig is so perfect.

Forest Green, I can understand sitting out episodes 2 and 3. I wasn't as invested in Star Wars when I saw them, but I can still say that 2 and 3 aren't the best story-wise. I can't even imagine what I would have thought if I had been really into Star Wars in the 90s. In my opinion they were supposed to make you feel this inevitable tragedy of Anakin's fall to the dark side, but either the acting, the directing, or both fell short and it wasn't very compelling. I think they would have been better if told from Obi-Wan's perspective. On the other hand, the Clone Wars cartoon does an excellent job of showing Anakin falling to the dark side in a humanizing way where you could see yourself going down the same path.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:17 am

Purple_Monkfish wrote:I reallky love the green she is! she looks awesome

Thanks! By the way, here is the knit that I co-dyed with Ilaria. In person, the difference between the fabric and the doll is more striking.

Theral's crew 21588528185_a87352a2ec
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by ForestGreen Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:37 am

That is a very striking difference in color. From what I've seen others saying, the Makie nylon seems to really soak up any blue in the dye. That might be the reason for the color difference.

ForestGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:12 am

Phew, I've finally un-tubed another of my mega Makies order at the end of 3Dp! It's been a looooong time, but here's pre-dye Deena.

Theral's crew 22289850954_7cbbb8e9a4

She will be sort of a pinkish-reddish color and will keep the blue eyes for now. I'm not sure if she will keep the red wig, though. I can't tell until she's dyed, which I expect to do this weekend!
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful Owl Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:34 am

She is cute. Can't wait for the dye!

Artful Owl

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:19 am

Me neither! It feels like I've been planning this for so long!
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:55 am

It's finally done. Deena has been dyed and had her makeup done!

I used the Rit Pantone recipe for "Strawberry ice" plus an additional quart of water, an additional 1/4th teaspoon of tan, and a pinch more red. And of course vinegar!

Theral's crew 22608571047_642c87d50c  Theral's crew 23000854276_9def49113c

The swatches are "Strawberry ice" recipe plus 1q water, then plus 1c vinegar, then with the extra tan and red. At this point, I added the eye mech to be sure it was right. It was fine, so I added all the rest and got this:

Theral's crew 23000853996_a5b4911559

Don't mind the emery board, I had to smooth out a little speckling on Deena's chin!

Once I put her together, she spent about 20 minutes modeling different wigs. And she was a huge flirt the whole time!

Theral's crew 23000853626_64672d4eaf Theral's crew 23013388532_61ee4a9bcd

She even conned Nathaira out of her wig, but only for a moment...

Theral's crew 23026900665_9a203bf09f Theral's crew 23013389232_45b17661f1

And here she is with makeup and the blue wig. I didn't like the red one with her skintone, and the lavender isn't quite accurate for her species. And the white most definitely isn't hers!

Theral's crew 23000852106_113a4b43f7 Theral's crew 22405703653_2896531bcd

Theral's crew 22608566397_39f8bc3e04
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful Owl Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:14 pm

She looks awesome! I like the wig you landed on too. I just want to makienap your colorful little crew.lol

Artful Owl

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:34 am

Thanks! Getting the dye color right was very easy this time. Now where to find time to sew them more clothes while working toward the three still in tube?
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful Owl Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:53 pm

You must have some great self discipline to stick with your timed makie release plan. Respect. I'm glad the red dye is more reliable.

It has been a number of weeks since I dyed and faced Keen, and I'm getting the itch for another Makie project. Your plan makes me wish I had followed suit, though at the time I was on a debt reduction kick (arg). I have yet to find something to fill that hobby gap propperly. I've been working on a diorama for my dyed lot, turning the inside of an antique radio cabinet into a forresty winter retreat for them. The project is keeping me level, lol.

Artful Owl

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:41 am

That cabinet sounds really cool! I love seasonal decoration, and I'd love to have a diorama, but it would be very hard to make that work in my little apartment. Hopefully you will be able to share a peek into the diorama; I'd love to see what you end up with.

I'll admit, I had become pretty disgruntled about having four still in tube before I took Deena out. It had been a long time! I'm not sure to what extent keeping them in is self-discipline, though. I think it helps that my tasks all feel sort of pressing. I also really like to spend time on one Makie at a time. Then, I've stretched the definition of complete for some of my tasks. For example, all I had left was to try doll shoe making to get Deena out. My first pair had one nicely shaped, glue-marked shoe and one wreck of a shoe, but out came Deena anyway! Hey, I tried it!
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful Owl Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:28 am

Shoes sound neat. At least you tried right. I can imagine they would be fiddly, as small as they need to be. I have seen people make some moccasins that turned out well, but never tried myself.

I'll share pics of the diorama here for sure.

Artful Owl

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:10 am

So fiddly, yes! Also, I picked ultrasuede for the shoes. It was too thick, at least for a beginner! I'd like to try moccasins since I could do more sewing and less glueing.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:06 am

I've got my next Makie out of her tube. Her outfit isn't quite done, and she'll need a style adjustment too, but here is Kajal:

Theral's crew 23460282375_9f174beb85

She's meant to be Rattataki, like Asajj Ventress was (pre-retcon). They have chalk white skin and no hair. They often have facial tattoos.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful Owl Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:05 am

She is freaking beautiful! I had to Google Rattataki, ha.

Artful Owl

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:46 am

Thanks! I've done some make up, but nothing too permanent. I'm going to be flattening her eyebrows out (no hair!). I still need to hem her shirt, too.

Maybe I can get some work in progress photos up tomorrow.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:44 am

I've been working to get those eyebrows gone, and I'm almost done! I've got a little smoothing left, and I haven't had the self control to keep myself from giving her some makeup. She's still a work in progress, but not for long!!

Theral's crew 25655210562_31eeb0656a
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful Owl Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:42 am

She looks cool! it looks like you have had success in sanding her eyebrows off. What did you use?

Artful Owl

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:14 am

I started with a very fine nail emery board, but it wasn't really effective, so I moved on to sandpaper. I'm still surprised that I did it with so little stress, but it worked really well. I still need to go back over it with some finer stuff to smooth out the region. I'm mainly really excited that I'm going to be able to give her some real style soon!
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next