The unofficial Makies fan forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie question - What are 3DP bodies?

4 posters

Go down

Newbie question - What are 3DP bodies? Empty Newbie question - What are 3DP bodies?

Post by LisaK Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:32 pm

I noticed a lot of people talking about placing rush orders after (apparently) the end of "3DP"s. What does that mean exactly? I only discovered Makies recently and was planning on buying one either next month, or the month after that. Should I order one now instead? What's going on?

LisaK

Back to top Go down

Newbie question - What are 3DP bodies? Empty Re: Newbie question - What are 3DP bodies?

Post by Purple_Monkfish Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:36 pm

3d printed. The Makies used to come with 3d printed nylon heads AND bodies, so the head and body were the same material (a sort of hard, porous, slightly woodgrainy feeling material). Now the bodies will be injection moulded (as in, plastic like a Barbie doll) but with the 3d nylon head. So they'll have this head that looks and feels carved and a plastic body like a generic fashion doll.
Suffice to say, a fair few people weren't happy about this idea and panicked.

They're likely to be just fine, but it's a big change and does alter a lot about the product. makes them more "toy" and less "collectable" I suppose.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Newbie question - What are 3DP bodies? Empty Re: Newbie question - What are 3DP bodies?

Post by LisaK Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:44 pm

Purple_Monkfish wrote:3d printed. The Makies used to come with 3d printed nylon heads AND bodies, so the head and body were the same material (a sort of hard, porous, slightly woodgrainy feeling material). Now the bodies will be injection moulded (as in, plastic like a Barbie doll) but with the 3d nylon head. So they'll have this head that looks and feels carved and a plastic body like a generic fashion doll.
Suffice to say, a fair few people weren't happy about this idea and panicked.

They're likely to be just fine, but it's a big change and does alter a lot about the product. makes them more "toy" and less "collectable" I suppose.

Oh, I see! Looks like I jumped on the late train. Does anyone know when those new ones will start getting produced? I did read that the grainy textured bodies caused some issues in terms of snagging delicate fabric. So, maybe this new smoother body will be better in that sense. Hmmm. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that this new method means a price drop pretty soon! $74.99 is still a bit expensive; especially with $33 shipping.

LisaK

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:07 pm

oh the price drop already happened, they used to be £69 (uh.. not sure what that is in usd... over 100). The price dropped because of the new IM bodies, but there was a few weeks overlap.
from what we understand, all makies ordered from this point on will have the new plastic body.

it will make leggings and tights easier to put on though, which will be nice.

I agree though, the price is still a wee bit much but I suppose 3d technology just hasn't dropped to a point it's hugely affordable yet.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by MissRead Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:48 pm

I don't think the price is too bad really for a personalised doll that you have designed yourself - I mean where else can you get that for this price?
MissRead
MissRead

Back to top Go down

Post by JRyu Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:35 am

Yep! They were over $100.00, they were $115.00 before shipping, to be exact.

Lol, Personally, I like the prices in pounds, £69 just sounds so much better than $115.00! Lol. ^_~
JRyu
JRyu

Location : In the middle of the Pacific...literally! Lol! On The Big Island of Hawaii

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down