The unofficial Makies fan forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elisabeth is here!

+5
MissRead
jupiternames
Kitty-kat
Purple_Monkfish
nattherat
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Elisabeth is here! Empty Elisabeth is here!

Post by nattherat Mon May 11, 2015 1:57 pm

Elisabeth arrived!
Elisabeth is here! 11260443_1629208743969088_425606871_n
Aurella claws at the cardboard prison. XD

Elisabeth is here! 11240367_1468533613438721_859761204_n
And here she is! She looked so unlike herself with the wig and original eyes and clothes, I had to take them all off haha. So here she's sporting her new eyes!
In hindsight, I think I made the bridge of her nose too narrow (it didn't look that narrow on the creator to me), but I can work with it. If I really want to in future I could sand it a little and/or use pastels to blend it a bit more! For the moment, I'm fine with it. Very Happy She is meant to have a very narrow nose after all, I'd rather too narrow than too wide for this character.

Elisabeth is here! 11258335_965229670176640_918687413_n
Elisabeth is here! 11251861_1448038412160087_830659187_n
Elisabeth's expression is so perfect next to Aurella's, haha. XD I forgot to post about it, but I gave Aurella's wig a little bit of a trim at the back so that it all appeared the same length when held in place with her headband.

I can't wait to get started with Elisabeth's face-up! Very Happy
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Elisabeth is here! Empty Re: Elisabeth is here!

Post by Purple_Monkfish Mon May 11, 2015 2:04 pm

aww she looks so sweet! Can't wait to see her made up!
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kitty-kat Mon May 11, 2015 4:51 pm

So cute! I love your ideas for your girls!
Kitty-kat
Kitty-kat

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat Mon May 11, 2015 6:08 pm

Thank you!

Here's a picture exactly as she came out the tube:
Elisabeth is here! Img_20150511_131350_2_by_nattherat-d8szvhr

And here's the first pass of dyeing her wig done:
Elisabeth is here! 11226736_914637015261866_1483430038_nIt looks like a little tribble. XD
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Mon May 11, 2015 6:28 pm

She's cute! I can't help but like her, though, since I've got a Lizzie in strawberry milk with thin lips and blue eyes. It will be great to see her in her new clothes.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Mon May 11, 2015 6:47 pm

ooo the colour of that wig! What are you using the dye it?
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat Mon May 11, 2015 7:24 pm

@jupiternames - Haha, the eyes are actually grey! Instagram filters and all that. Plus... daylight hasn't been super kind today so it's hard to get photos of her.

Her clothes should arrive tomorrow or the day after, though I'm not sure when I'm going to have time to do her face-up this week, so many things going on!

Elisabeth is here! Tumblr_n7ziihx41g1qmd4syo1_1280
Here's some older art of the character (on the left) so you can see vaguely what she'll end up looking like. Very Happy

@P_M - Ahhh, actually instagram makes it look pink! It's actually a strong red. I had a look around and apparently the best method to dye kanekalon fibres is with sharpies (or basically a mixture of alcohol and ink), so that's how I'm doing it!
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by MissRead Mon May 11, 2015 7:45 pm

Wow, just look at the colour of her wig!  

Congratulations on her arrival, looking forward to seeing her make over
MissRead
MissRead

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Mon May 11, 2015 7:58 pm

Wow, is there a way of setting the dye? Or is that even necessary? I only have experience with using rit fabric dye which I always try to set.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat Mon May 11, 2015 8:08 pm

The fibres are a kind of plastic I believe? So basically you colour them in (don't think of it as dyeing as such, because you can't dye these fibres via traditional means). I think the alcohol might be the thing that "sets" them, but basically you don't have to do anything other than apply the ink to them - they're done!

Just make sure to rinse the wig with cold water until excess ink runs out to prevent staining.

If you have any makie wig other than the fur ones, you can use this method. So if you've ever wanted to change the colours of your wigs or give them some cool streaks or something like that, it's super easy!
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by Almostreal Mon May 11, 2015 8:45 pm

The eyes are stunning! glass?
Almostreal
Almostreal

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat Mon May 11, 2015 9:17 pm

Yep! I prefer glass eyes. I don't have extensive experience, but acrylic eyes that I've seen (and the ones that come with makies) just don't have the same depth/strength of colour. Maybe I've not seen the right pair of acrylic eyes yet, but still, glass it is for me!

I've got some new eyes coming for Aurella for that reason. I thought I'd be happy with the black acrylic eyes she came with, but they're upstaged by Elisabeth's glass eyes entirely. So new glass ones it is!
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by Almostreal Mon May 11, 2015 9:19 pm

The red ones are very nice. I love your artwork too. You're very talented.
Almostreal
Almostreal

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat Mon May 11, 2015 9:24 pm

Yeah, I love the red eyes I have for Aurella! They're supposed to be special occasion eyes though unfortunately, rather than the ones she has all the time, otherwise I'd be totally set.

Thanks for the artwork compliment! Very Happy It's a lot of fun translating my 2D work into a 3D representation like this - an interactive/moveable 3D thing rather than a sculpture I mean.
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Tue May 12, 2015 6:28 am

nattherat wrote:The fibres are a kind of plastic I believe? So basically you colour them in (don't think of it as dyeing as such, because you can't dye these fibres via traditional means). I think the alcohol might be the thing that "sets" them, but basically you don't have to do anything other than apply the ink to them - they're done!

Just make sure to rinse the wig with cold water until excess ink runs out to prevent staining.

If you have any makie wig other than the fur ones, you can use this method. So if you've ever wanted to change the colours of your wigs or give them some cool streaks or something like that, it's super easy!

Very interesting! I'll have to keep that in mind just in case I ever need to color kanekalon. You never know. Thanks for explaining! It reminds me of when I was a kid and I used to use my washable markers to put color in the manes of my My Little Ponies. Though that hair was nylon, I think.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat Tue May 12, 2015 2:45 pm

Elisabeth is here! 11236140_1652847391601971_1964255621_nThe gentle light blonde is no more! XD It's not finished yet since, just like the red, I'll have to make a few passes over with the black in order to cover as much fibre as I can.

She already looks much more herself though!
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Tue May 12, 2015 3:25 pm

Wow! Hair everywhere! But, the wig looks great. It's cool how much control that method of dyeing seems to afford.
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat Tue May 12, 2015 3:42 pm

It's pretty fun to do! I'll probably compile a post in the wigs thread once I'm done so it can be used as reference by others, but I will say if you do try it out, it's really important to be careful.

Sharpies have their positive reputation because they really are super permanent and super strong. That's great, except I don't think you can really afford mistakes. Elisabeth's head was wrapped in cling-film whilst I snipped off a bit of the hair, and even then the markers bled through.

I was lucky, I spotted it quick, and the only thing that's stained is the skullcap and that's fine since nobody will be seeing that! If you ever do it, just be sure you don't take it near your makie/clothing until it's completely finished and rinsed out several times. If you have to have it on the makie head to make sure the colours go in the right places, get some cling-film on there. It'll catch most of it but you need to stay wary.
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat Thu May 14, 2015 5:10 pm

Elisabeth has a face!
Elisabeth is here! 11243067_399364243594583_214655318_n

It's not as clean as I would like because:
Elisabeth is here! 11244849_1080544688639855_550264340_n
Something reacted with something, I don't know what, but something went wrong somewhere while I was prepping, and started pulling the dye out of the nylon. You can't see it so well in this photo but if you look carefully around the eyes you might be able to see. I genuinely can't think what it would have been, since the head was properly washed and cleaned and sealed. It wasn't clouding or build-up though, it was like something soaked the dye up. Whilst I couldn't really photograph it properly, it was extremely prominent in person.

It left the area around the eyes, and some other parts of the face really damaged. I honestly wasn't sure I'd be able to salvage it, because the damage meant it was either too resistant or too absorbent to new materials being put on it. Maybe if someone else has had this happen, they can explain what happened? XD

Anyway, I soldiered on regardless though (that's all you really can do), and finished the face-up.
Elisabeth is here! 11258335_705562796220265_619747829_n
It's definitely not so good around the eyes where the worst of the damage happened, but I think I've managed to cover most of the white nylon that was showing through. I asked MakieLabs if they'd ever consider allowing the option to buy individual faceplates though (they said they're looking into it!), because I think I'd like to try this one again in future without the damage to contend with. XD

(As an extra note - since cutie makies have shorter wider heads than I draw in my Rel El artwork, Elisabeth here actually has a slight resemblance to Elsa from Frozen in my opinion. Not intentional, but I'm not going to argue!)
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by jupiternames Thu May 14, 2015 5:47 pm

I love her makeup!

I've also never heard of this problem with the dye. I'd recommend you try to contact Sioux about it since she has done a lot of experiments with the nylon. She may be able to help diagnose what went wrong.

Her website is: http://www.littlemoo.me/
jupiternames
jupiternames

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Thu May 14, 2015 7:19 pm

I think she looks beautiful! But wow.. that is so strange. What did you use to seal and prep? What an odd reaction.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Almostreal Thu May 14, 2015 7:58 pm

I can't see anything wrong around the eyes from the photo. I'm struck by how much she looks like her comic counterpart. ( I want to read that comic by the way.)
Almostreal
Almostreal

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat Thu May 14, 2015 9:16 pm

Thank you! I think, given how prominent the original damage was (my phone camera isn't the best, but trust me when I say you wouldn't mistake it in real life. White nylon is extremely light compared to the dyed nylon), I'm pleased with how well I've managed to cover it over. I think you'd now only know if I told you or if you scrutinised quite closely. 

For seal and prep: MSC, gentle baths with a little soap, exactly the same as Aurella. Perhaps I didn't rinse the head enough before leaving it to dry then MSCing it? I really don't know. I did all the same steps as Aurella, yet ended up with the damage. I wish I knew!

Elisabeth is here! 11256378_1588447884770326_85692123_n
The light has faded too much, but here's a photo of her next to Aurella as they are so far.

Elisabeth's wig needs to soak many many more times I think before I can risk putting it on her head, so she's probably going to be bald for a while yet. XD She should hopefully be clothed tomorrow!

@Almostreal - thanks so much! If you want to pick up the comic, you can here. Alternatively, it's a long shot, but I'm going to be at Comic Con at the end of this month in London. Very Happy That's why I'm getting the dolls ready. My comics will be on sale there!
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by Kitty-kat Thu May 14, 2015 10:01 pm

Aww, your girls are going to be amazing! I love your face-ups
Kitty-kat
Kitty-kat

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful Owl Thu May 14, 2015 10:39 pm

The dye issue is so weird, but I'm glad you managed to save her.

Artful Owl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next