The unofficial Makies fan forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Customising makies, what should I get?

+9
Miss Heny
JRyu
nattherat
Almostreal
Dandelion5
Purple_Monkfish
howll
DollYay
jupiternames
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Customising makies, what should I get? - Page 2 Empty Re: Customising makies, what should I get?

Post by Miss Heny Tue May 05, 2015 11:13 pm

I got some Faber-Castell ink pens that has KILLER pigment I am toying with using for makeup and their inktense/watercolor pencil.
Miss Heny
Miss Heny

Back to top Go down

Customising makies, what should I get? - Page 2 Empty Re: Customising makies, what should I get?

Post by Almostreal Fri May 08, 2015 12:47 pm

Doll being shipped today! I just bought some Mr Super Clear Matte on ebay. Already terrified to use it ;-) Can't wait though.
Almostreal
Almostreal

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat Sat May 09, 2015 11:59 am

@Almostreal - Just make sure you shake the can a lot, and you should be fine. Very Happy The thing I was most afraid of was potential clouding, because I don't have easy access to tools to remove the MSC. But I shook the can a lot, used it outside when it wasn't too hot but definitely not too cold either (I understood that temperature and humidity can cause clouding), and it went well! 

There's a couple of minor marks from where I'm not sure it took so well (maybe I was too close, or maybe it's the material of the makie being a bit different, since the first doll I used it on was a white ABS doll), but otherwise it came out just fine. So glad it didn't cloud haha!

I think I've mentioned this before, but if you're worried and want to practice: practice on the inside of the skullplate! You can do whatever you like to that part because it'll never be seen. Very Happy
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by nattherat Sat May 09, 2015 12:05 pm

Oh, I might add: If you use any pastels in your face-up, seal them. Seal them a million times over.

I haven't had any accidents yet thankfully because of the amount of times I did seal, but boy does pastel like to pose a danger to anything that ever comes near it. I must have sprayed Aurella's head at least 7 times during the course of working on her face, and the blush on her cheeks still liked to rub off while I was handling the head. Lots of patience and care is key.

Also remember that even watercolour pencils can stain other things if they're not sealed. I got a little lazy with the body because I wasn't sure it needed yet another layer of MSC, but Aurella's imprinted little freckles on various things now. Probably not an issue if you're only working on the face, but worth remembering anyway.
nattherat
nattherat

Back to top Go down

Post by Almostreal Sat May 09, 2015 2:53 pm

Thanks for the tips. How does it affect the surface texture of the nylon once dry?
Almostreal
Almostreal

Back to top Go down

Post by _MakieCrafter_ Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:08 pm

i use mod poge...
_MakieCrafter_
_MakieCrafter_

Back to top Go down

Post by Tehwereferret Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:47 am

I used Testors Dullcote, since it's the only thing I wouldn't have to order online. 

For the eyelashes I used false human ones, and mod podge to stick. Pastels and watercolors  for the faceup and body.
Tehwereferret
Tehwereferret

Back to top Go down

Post by _MakieCrafter_ Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:36 pm

i use mod poge to seal, glue eyelashes, make the eyeliner, ans lip gloss Xp  Razz Razz Razz
_MakieCrafter_
_MakieCrafter_

Back to top Go down

Post by _MakieCrafter_ Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:37 pm

i also use chalk pastels and watercoulr pencils
_MakieCrafter_
_MakieCrafter_

Back to top Go down

Customising makies, what should I get? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sharpie or or other markers -- Oh No!

Post by pvlaughingmoon Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:53 pm

JRyu wrote:I've used metallic markers for eye shadow on my Cocoa bean skinned Makies.   It looks pretty good on the cocoa skin, has the same shimmery look that some eye shadows have. ^_^  
It takes a light touch and a steady hand though, and you want the type that comes to a point, rather than a chisel edge.

Also I don't recommend Crayola brand metallic or glitter markers, while they do work, I don't entirely trust how well the color sets up.   Especially since the folks at Crayola have kind of become obsessed with this whole "easy to clean", no mess no fuss thing lately. 0_o

I'm sort of tempted to try seeing what I can do with my Sharpie permanent markers, ^_~

NEVER EVER use Sharpie markers or any other dye-based marker on a Makie.
Nylon is porous and the dye will Bleed over time, Ruining your doll. Sealing the doll first with several coats of non-permeable sealer might help but I wouldn't trust it.

I know my first Makie doll isn't here yet, but I ruined a really cute polymer clay doll once by using a black "permanent" marker on it. It took a few months but it just bled and bled and totally fuzzed out and I ended up throwing it away.

I don't think paint markers have this problem but dye-based ones do. Don't risk it.

Last edited by pvlaughingmoon on Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fix typos and add the bit about sealing.)

pvlaughingmoon

https://pamelavelner.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DocC Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:01 am

I did a face up today on Brenda. I used magic eraser on her mouth and skin first. I decided to eliminate her freckles. Then I used a tiny brush and used wet watercolor pencils (caran d'ache) to make colored spots to work from on a plastic palette. I started with a wash to make shadows around the nose and eyes. I like making the eyeliner extend out from the eyes and brush strokes for eyelashes and eyebrows. The lip shapes are the scariest now that my close vision is going downhill and I decided to try bright red lips so they had to be really perfect. I even darkened the inside of the nostrils for the first time. Then I used real powdered blush and a sparkly gold shadow under the outside half of the eyebrows. Last, I sprayed with Mr. Super Clear matt which I got half price on eBay but had to be shipped by boat from China because it's an aerosol (took a month). I shake it a full minute or two and spray from a foot or more away outside. Here is the result.
Customising makies, what should I get? - Page 2 Image31

DocC
DocC

Back to top Go down

Post by DocC Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:15 am

One more.
Customising makies, what should I get? - Page 2 Image32
DocC
DocC

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple_Monkfish Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:13 am

She looks so classy Doc! The lip shape is beautiful. lips always cause me such a headache.
Purple_Monkfish
Purple_Monkfish
Admin
Admin

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by DocC Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:42 pm

Thanks Purple_Monkfish! Yes the lips are a gamble. I feel really lucky that they came out this well. I find that timing is important. I only do face ups with good daylight and when I'm feeling fresh and my hand steady! Usually in the morning.
DocC
DocC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2